1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with wireless file transfers

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Benprofane, May 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benprofane

Benprofane Thread Starter

I recently got a Cisco/Linksys e3200 router and have two desktop computers hard wired to it. One is Windows 7 Professional and the other is Linux Mint 12. The problem, however is with my laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium.

The router setup was extremely simple and I get decent file transfer speeds between the desktops and between the Linux machine (wired) and the Windows 7 HP laptop (wireless). The problem is between the two Windows 7 machines, and is far worse in one direction. I got reasonable speeds when I copy from the laptop to the Windows 7 desktop (initiating file transfer from the desktop), but I am basically unable to initiate file transfers from the laptop. I can see both desktops on the network, and can see shared folders, though discovery of them can take a really long time. The real problem is when I attempt to copy a file from the Windows 7 desktop to the laptop. It will say it is discovering the files to be transferred for several minutes (even if it is only one mp3), then, if the transfer does start, it will move along at 10-15k/second.

I've googled the issue and haven't been able to find an answer. It's extremely frustrating. Let me know if there is any more information that you need and I will try to provide it. Thank you in advance for your help.

2. Benprofane

Benprofane Thread Starter

I should add that the internet connection speed of the laptop, connected wirelessly, is fine.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1052882

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice