Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Problem with Word 2000 in Windows 7 normal mode

Solved 
757 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  flavallee 
#1 ·
As outlined above, more often than not Word shuts down within a few seconds of opening a new page or a file - but only in Windows 7 Normal Mode; Word runs fine in Windows Safe Mode. The problem still occurs even if I open Winword /Safe or Winword /a via Windows + R.

I've reinstalled Word and the problem is still there. I've also deleted ALL .tmp files.

Does anyone have any useful suggestions (ie, NOT replace the app or the PC!)

System Utility results as follows:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 32 bit, Build 7601, Installed 20170909205258.000000+060
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 3 Stepping 4, CPU Count: 2
Total Physical RAM: 2 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller, 3 MB
Hard Drives: C: 97 GB (19 GB Free); D: 51 GB (21 GB Free);
Motherboard: Lite-On Tech. 08FCh, ver D01, s/n 21811473901026
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver COMPAQ - 8000426, s/n HUB44406CW
Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm not sure if this could be your problem, Word 2000 support ended in 2004, I would think it should still work, but I really don't know.

#3 ·
Hi MrBillPro

Thanks for your input but I feel that the problem is Windows related rather than Word. I've consulted Word afficionadfos who agree with that view, hence my posting here.

I've seen several posts on the'net regarding this problem (hence my attempts using Win + R and clearing all .tmp files) but the problem remains. Word works fine in Windows Safe Mode - but, of course I can't print anything, which is a pity.

#4 ·
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 32 bit, Build 7601, Installed 20170909205258.000000+060
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 3 Stepping 4, CPU Count: 2
Total Physical RAM: 2 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller, 3 MB
Hard Drives: C: 97 GB (19 GB Free); D: 51 GB (21 GB Free);
Motherboard: Lite-On Tech. 08FCh, ver D01, s/n 21811473901026
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver COMPAQ - 8000426, s/n HUB44406CW
Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Enabled and Updated
I haven't used Microsoft Word 2000 in more than 15 years, so I'm not aware of what current issues it may have with Windows 7.

If it's working okay in safe mode, but not in normal mode, my first 3 guesses would be:
1. YOUR HP Compaq dx2000 Microtower PC originally came with Windows XP or Windows Vista and has very slow hardware.
2. It has too many running processes.
3. It has a third-party antivirus app.

The combination of all of the above is going to cause it to bog down or run like a turtle.

------------------------------------------------

#5 ·
Word 2000 runs just fine on my Win 7 Pro computers.

But, Apps like Acrobat and voice recognition integrate into Word.
I had problems of Word exiting after a few seconds, the first time I used it with Acrobat.

My work around: Use the Restore function ( not re- imaging or re-installing the system) set to a date before my problem started.
It apparently corrected a registry conflict.

I then turned off the Acrobat integration in Word after the 'fix' and no problems since.

Maybe yours is a conflict like mine was?

I still use Word but prefer Libre Office in many cases. It's a free download.

#6 ·
The problem has now been solved, thanks to Jim Hillier at the davescomutertips.com website (well worth a look if anyone's not already subscribed).

Unfortunately, for some reason I can't attach the troubleshooting report (or even include it in this message); I get a security error each time so, if someone can advise me how to get round that, I'll be happy to oblige with a further post. As an outline however, it turned out to be an incompatibility between Avast ant-virus and a program unrelated to either Word or Windows!

Whatever, I'm most grateful to Jim Hillier for once again pointing me to Avast which had caused other problems in the past.

#7 ·
The problem has now been solved, thanks to Jim Hillier at the davescomutertips.com website (well worth a look if anyone's not already subscribed).

Unfortunately, for some reason I can't attach the troubleshooting report (or even include it in this message); I get a security error each time so, if someone can advise me how to get round that, I'll be happy to oblige with a further post. As an outline however, it turned out to be an incompatibility between Avast ant-virus and a program unrelated to either Word or Windows!

Whatever, I'm most grateful to Jim Hillier for once again pointing me to Avast which had caused other problems in the past.
It appears my third guess in post #4 was the primary cause of your issue. ;)

--------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.