1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problem with word read only

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by airdale, Jan 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. airdale

airdale Thread Starter

Hi,
    I have a problem in word 2000.
    Some saved documents have (read only) when you hover over them on the task bar and some have just (doc.)
    The documents that have (doc.) next to them when I minimize the to the task bar it will put a duplicate document
    in the folder next to the original. It replaces the firt two lettesr of the document with two symbols which are (~$)
    The documents with (read only )next to them I have no problems.
    I ran a norton virus scan and it showed no viruses. Is there a way to make all documents (read only)
    I uninstalled and reinstalled WORD
    Any help would be appreicated .
    Thank you

Airdale ( OS98se 650 256 ram )

2. slipe

slipe

You can not modify a read only document. If you open it in Word you can not change things and select “Save”. Read only protects the document from being changed. Any document you might want to modify should not be read only.

How are you getting the document to the taskbar? I have tried minimizing both Word and just the document from Word to the taskbar and neither give me the attributes or file type of the original file. I get the file type on the bottom of Word when I minimize, but nothing like you describe. Perhaps someone in the Business Applications forum would be familiar with what is happening to you.

To directly answer your question: Right click on the file in Windows Explorer>Properties and check “Read Only”

3. airdale

airdale Thread Starter

Hi Slipe
    Thanks for the information it is appreicated.
    When I hover the mouse pointer over the document in the task bar it comes up and says the attibutes.
    Thanks again.

Airdale

4. Cowboy622

Cowboy622

Not positive but it might be a corrupt Normal.dot. What I would try is to delete the Normal.dot template and then close Word. When you open it again, it should be re-created. To delete it, open word>tools> templates and add ins> click on the attach or add button> then highlight "Normal" and or "~$Normal" and delete it and then close Word. Then reopen it and see if you have the same problems.
    Worth a try.

Slipe was talking about right clicking in explorer not on the task bar. If you are in wondows explorer and right click on a word document> then go to properties> you can change it to "read only" or to "archive". If it is read only, you will not be able to make any changes to the document when you open it in Word. Most people want to keep their documents in the "archive mode so they can make changes to them. When you have a document opened, then try to open another document, you will see the document you already have opened listed in the folder with the ~ in front of it. This is just to let you know thatr that file is already opened and in use. When you close that file. That listing disappears. For instance , If I have three documents in a folder called Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow. If I open Today and am working on it and then I decide I want to open Yesterday. I click on the open button it will have ~Today listed at the top of the folder to let me know I have that already opened. If I closed the "Today" file and then click on open, ~Today will not be there.
    I hope I've explained it so you understand it.

5. airdale

airdale Thread Starter

Hi Cowboy622
    Thanks
    If the normal dot is corrupt will it show hidden files
    Is there a way to hide those files when I open and minimize a saved document

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113464

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice