Problem with X-Window-System on Debian

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

omega*

Hey, I'm fairly new to Linux in general, and installed and was running Debian finely for over a month without any problems using a GUI with the x-window-system and Gnome. Recently, I tried to reconfigure my XFree86 Server with dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 and went through all the screens without changing anything, except enabling a higher resolution (which was supported by my monitor in windows). When I started my computer in Debian the next time, the GUI didn't autostart and I was in the command-line interface. When I typed startx I got an error saying
(EE) No devices detected.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

XIO: fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0" after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
I'm using the latest stable release of Debian and the latest versions ofg x-window-system and Gnome.

Thankyou.

You need the drivers too to match the capability of the monitor.

Just edit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 or /etc/X11/XF86Config to cross out the higher resolution part in the appropriate "modes" statement to revert to your previous state.

Think Debian's drivers are older versions and may not be able to support high resolution but 1024x768 should be OK.

omega*

So there are no drivers I could download for a 6800 GT on Debian to enable 1280x1024 resolution on my LCD screen?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online