Problem with XP or RAM, not sure which.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

stevensimon10482

Okay.

For the full story, check out the following links at a web forum where everyone just stopped paying attention to my problem.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=113017

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=113116

I run XP with SP2. Basically, last week I got a BSOD and then my computer stopped working. I couldn't open Windows even in Safe Mode - it kept getting stuck.

I tried to do a repair, and it got stuck in the middle of that.

Someone told me, from my description, that I should run MemTest to see if my RAM is broken.

Same problem - I can't boot it from MemTest, it goes to a screen which explains that Windows didn't open properly, gives me the whole gamut of options (Safe Mode . . . Last Good Configuration . . . Start Windows Normally, etc.). Then it goes black forever.

Simultaneously, I was told to slipstream a copy of Windows with SP2, since my reinstall disc is SP1. I did that. Same thing. I boot from my ROM drive, and it doesn't boot from the CD. It goes back to the "Windows didn't open properly" screen, and then black forever.

What could be the problem?

Thanks. I just need to get this thing up and running.

Frank4d

Retired Trusted Advisor
stevensimon10482 said:
Someone told me, from my description, that I should run MemTest to see if my RAM is broken.

Same problem - I can't boot it from MemTest, it goes to a screen which explains that Windows didn't open properly, gives me the whole gamut of options (Safe Mode . . . Last Good Configuration . . . Start Windows Normally, etc.). Then it goes black forever.
If you made a bootable Memtest86+ CD and configured BIOS to boot from CD, you shouldn't see Windows. Try making a new CD.

Note: You need to tell your CD burning software to make the CD bootable and have either the memtest .BIN file, or a DOS boot image file plus the memtest86 ISO file.

In order to open your BIOS settings, while your computer is starting up, you need to press (usually) DELETE or F12. Once in your BIOS, try to find your BOOT SEQUENCE and change the settings so that the CDROM is booted first. If you need more help just post in the forum.

crjdriver

Frank is correct. If you are getting a windows message when you attempt to boot with memtest, you do not have your boot order set correctly.

Before attempting any reinstall, you need to fully test the hardware ie hard disk, and memory. Next post your exact specs ie make and model of motherboard [and ver#] brand and type of memory, brand and wattage of power supply, etc. This helps with any hardware problem.

stevensimon10482

I've done the BIOS situation, I think - while I have not changed the order of booting up, I have directed it to boot directly from the CD ROM drive.

But I haven't made a bootable CD of either the MemTest or the XP SP2 disc. I didn't realized this was necessary. And I don't control the burning process since I'm doing this at an Internet cafe.

With MemTest - is there a specific way to get the .BIN file or other bootable file? Or is it just a part of the download?

With XP SP2 - I burned a separate folder using ISO BUSTER which contained an image file. Is this enough to make it bootable? Or do I still have to direct the CD burning software to make it bootable?

Thanks for the help.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online