1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

problem WRT54G2 with cable modem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by geasscode951, Oct 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. geasscode951

geasscode951 Thread Starter

I have a comcast cable router and a linksys WRT54G2 wireless router, its wired to a desktop, i have internet connection and all, but when i try to go wireless on a laptop or psp i have have no internet, but i get a strong signal. i have try reseting, changing the security settings, and so one nothing works. so hopefully someone can help me resolve this problem.

thnx

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Start by configuring the wireless with no encryption and no MAC filtering. See if you can connect that way. Have you tried those machines with a wired connection to verify this is just a wireless issue?

Some other things you can try here.

1. For wireless connections, change the channel on the router, I like channels 1, 6, and 11 in the US.
    2. For wireless connections, try moving either the wireless router/AP or the wireless computer. Even a couple of feet will sometimes make a big difference.
    3. Update the firmware to the latest version available on the manufacturer's site.
    4. Reset the router to factory defaults and reconfigure.

Many times these measures will resolve a lot of intermittent issues.

3. someoneinca

someoneinca

Comcast employes MAC filtering. What you need to do is to log into the router settings from the computer that was used to set the connection up or the first computer to use it. Then you either need to tell the router to clone your computer's MAC address or manually type it into the router. This spoofs your router's MAC address and makes Comcast think that your router is your computer.

This is the process that I used for a friend of mine with Comcast, so it should work for you as well. Let us know if you need any more help with this

4. JohnWill

Actually, while they may do that in some areas, they don't do that in the Phila area. I've had Comcast in the past, and I have many friends that still use them. None of them had to do any MAC cloning for changing routers or machines connected to the modems.

5. someoneinca

someoneinca

They use this in the San Francisco area and I've read online that they do in other areas too, so I just thought I would throw it out there as a suggestion.

Thanks for the info though.

6. JohnWill

Always good to have another data point. :) I thought they had pretty much abandoned that when they went to DOCSIS modems, since they have their own MAC addresses, and it's much easier to control network access that way.

7. someoneinca

someoneinca

When did they switch modems? I did this when I set my friend's router up about 7-8 months ago. I don't know how long she had comcast before that though. I live in an unincorporated area and have AT&T DSL, not comcast so I don't know what their current configuration is

Posted via Mobile Device

8. JohnWill

Well, around here, Comcast has used DOCSIS compliant modems for years. I've had Verizon FiOS fiber for two years, and I had Comcast for a number of years before that. I always had a DOCSIS modem, and the MAC address of the connected device was never an issue.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756219

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice