1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problematic Emachines PC.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tonysmith1929, Jun 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tonysmith1929

tonysmith1929 Thread Starter

Using help from this forum I have now installed new mobo,new HD, new PSU,'new' RAM (1 Gig) known to be good matched pair from my PC. Using original P4 processor,DVD drive and floppy.
    Switched on first time,POST ed OK. Put XP disc in drive. Started to install files, then skipped to flashing cursor which wont move or do anything via ANY key.

rebooted several times,get about one second of menu, then back to immovable flashing cursor. No input makes any difference,ie,F1-2-3-4-5-6 etc, or Esc,Del etc.

What have I done wrong. Have rechecked all cables,CPU seating etc....
    All I need is to get to BIOS setup,. but cant !!!!!!!!

All help or advice appreciated.......Thanks....:confused:

2. arknorth

arknorth

Did you initialize the HD and check your BIOS to make sure all is booting acurately?

A-N

3. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

What is the make/model# of the motherboard?
    Is the ram being used 1 or 2 sticks? (try using just 1)

4. arknorth

arknorth

Ah - BIOS joys - no F1 or F2 or ESC works?

A-N

5. tonysmith1929

No AN, I didbt, thats why I need to get to B*****y BIOS !!!!

6. tonysmith1929

Mobo is Asrock P4I465, normal cheap replacement for Emachines crap. Will try one stick RAM. I note from XP installation advice that I need to install drivers for HD from Asrock CD.......How / When.....Can only use one CD at a time !!!!! Thanks all....

7. win2kpro

win2kpro

Are you trying to use the eMachines recovery disks?

8. tonysmith1929

No Win2K. I did intend to try my luck with Microsoft once I got it going, but not relying on it, even though it had only 6 months use before cooking !!.

I gather now that I should have loaded HD drivers first (??????) Can this be done with no OS ??? I could possibly create a floppy from Mobo disc on another PC if needed, the order for doing all this seems confusing to me. Still trying, and still welcome ideas......Thanks

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

Any usb devices plugged in? If yes take them out and use Ps2 keyboard and mouse if you have the ports.

10. win2kpro

win2kpro

Can you post a link to your board? Exactly which processor are you using? Please post the Intel sSpec # for the processor.

11. tonysmith1929

htt[p ://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=P4i65G&s=478 For Win2K

For RichM. No USB use at all Have experimented with various bits unhitched before booting. With HD undone can at least get menu, but unable to select anything with any key !! IF I put XP disc in, it says loading some files (onto what????) then stops. Just once I even got the bit that says 'do you want to load HD drivers' if so press Enter......Did so....nothing. Beginning to wonder about the keyboard now..

What I would really like is to get to bios to set start up scource, and input HD drivers as per mobo manual, like is about as near as I can get !!

Begining to wish I had never started on this rebuild, which is not my machine, and all I have spent is out of my pocket. Thanks again to all who have replied

12. tonysmith1929

PS....processor is intel P4 1.80.........

13. arknorth

arknorth

When XP loads from disk, it loads its own software into the RAM so it can run setup - it still calls it loading, just not to the HD.

A-N

14. Rich-M

Rich-M

Can you try a Ps2 keyboard as it sounds like your main issue is keyboard isn't working.

15. win2kpro

win2kpro

I can't locate your motherboard. Intel made the P4 1.80gHz. in the PGA 478 package with both the Williamette and Northwood cores. Are you sure you are not trying to put a Williamette cored processor in a board that only supports Northwood?

If you can see what processors you board supports, and post the sSpec # of the processor we can see what core you are working with.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/718808

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice