1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problematic Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by NickSmith, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NickSmith

NickSmith Thread Starter

I've been handed a Compaq D51C running XP which will not boot up. No matter if I try safe, last config etc, gets as far as the XP screen, almost loads and restarts. I've tried chkdsk /p/r through recovery, always fails at 25%. Tried fixboot and fixmbr, still no joy.

The problem is, I just need to get the users files off the damn thing. So I have a USB HD adaptor which when I plug into my PC can see the drive but cannot access due to I/O error. I've run PC Inspector File Recovery which can see the whole directory under C: but see's nothing in each folder.

I'm sure the data is there, I just can't get at it. Any help would be utterly appreciated.

Cheers

Nick

2. Everway9

Everway9

First Name:
    Drew
    When using the USB adaptor, is the HDD jumper set to master? Some times external usb convertors need the drive set to master or the wont read properly in windows. If thats not the issue do you have any other bootable dos applications like for example NTFS for DOS? If so you could boot into that and check if you can navigate to the folders you need then copy them onto one of your local hard drives through DOS.

3. NickSmith

NickSmith Thread Starter

Thanks for getting back to me. Have played around with the jumbers, makes no odds (won't actually pick it up when set to master). Haven't got anything like NTFS for Dos. You know of any free stuff out there that does the same? I can't get onto it via dos on PC, get I/O error again.

Cheers

Nick

4. Everway9

Everway9

First Name:
    Drew
  5. NickSmith

NickSmith Thread Starter

Ah. Just realised is FAT32....

6. Everway9

Everway9

First Name:
    Drew
    What size is the HDD?

7. NickSmith

NickSmith Thread Starter

40GB. Would be tempted to just drop it, but am in a new job and is one of the top guy's home PC, so am going for the brownie points.

Cheers

8. Everway9

Everway9

First Name:
    Drew
    Have you tried fitting the HDD on the internal IDE channel in your PC?

9. NickSmith

NickSmith Thread Starter

Just tried running it through my PC. Immediately got imminent HDD failure warning. Let it run through chkdsk, was getting loads of file record segment #### is unreadable, didn't have time to let it finish so stopped it. Now when running, still cant access drive, asks if I want to format it. Got a feeling this one is toast.

10. Everway9

Everway9

First Name:
    Drew
    Na m8 not yet! Your PC sees it in windows device manager and disk management yes?

11. NickSmith

NickSmith Thread Starter

It does indeed

12. Everway9

Everway9

First Name:
    Drew
  13. NickSmith

NickSmith Thread Starter

I see it and what a glorious sight it is.

14. NickSmith

NickSmith Thread Starter

Sorry, being a complete fool, but how do I now recover the files?

15. Everway9

Everway9

First Name:
    Drew
    Na its ok. you live and learn. What you need to decide now is if you want to recover the whole partition to another HDD or to recover individual files to another HDD.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!