1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems accessing wireless/wired Internet, probably Ip address problems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by iamrandom, Jun 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. iamrandom

iamrandom Thread Starter

Hi,
    I have a Dell Inspiron 8600 running Windows XP. The Wireless adapter is an Intel PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3A Mini PCI Adapter. The wired adapter is Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller. The router is a Netgear 54 mbps Wireless Router model WGR614 v6.

Here's my situation: Anytime I try to connect to the internet, I get stuck with "Limited or no connectivity". When I scroll over the wireless icon to see what the problem is, it seems to be stuck on acquiring network address. Every other time this has happened to me, I simply reset my modem and router and *poof* it was fixed. This time it didn't work. i tried repairing the connection, I tried using "ipconfig" in the command prompt to release and renew my IP address, still, nothing. I tried connecting my computer directly to the modem via LAN, and it had the same problems.

I'm fairly certain it isn't the modem or the router, because all the other computers in my house are accessing the internet just fine (like the one I'm using now). We don't have encryption or any other different settings on our router. It seems to be something with my computer, since I can't connect either by LAN or wireless. I checked the device manager, nothing is problematic.

When I check the Wireless Network Connection Status, I see that (at this moment) 550 packets were sent, 0 received. When I look at my Network Connection details, it says my IP address is 169.254.174.38, my subnet mask is 255.255.0.0 and my default Gateway is 196.254.174.38. When I look at my router settings through this computer, I can see that the problem computer is not listed as an attached device.

I hope this is enough information. I'm out of ideas, and I've been looking through the internet to try to find more advice, but I figured I might as well try posting here. Any ideas?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Start with this ...

(From a JohnWill post)

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

3. iamrandom

iamrandom Thread Starter

For some reason, after I did the second part (netsh int ip reset reset.log), the wireless icon would go from "limited or no connectivity" to "connected", but my internet was still not accessible. After I reset the machine, it would still go to "limited or no connectivity".

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Let's see this from the machine in question.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

5. iamrandom

iamrandom Thread Starter

Alright, the txt file is attached.

Thanks for all your help...

Attached Files:

6. iamrandom

iamrandom Thread Starter

I guess does this mean that there is a problem with the dhcp? What exactly is this, and how would I fix it?

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It's certainly a problem with getting a Dhcp configuration assigned. Often when you fail with both wireless and ethernet it's because of some corruption that gets fixed by the above repairs.

A second common cause is a 3rd party firewall (security suite) that somehow got misconfigured or messed up and is blocking all access.

There are at least two other possibilities for why your ethernet connection to the modem failed. First, sometimes people forget to properly power cycle the modem when switching the device connected to it. And, more probably in this case, you have ICS enabled on the wireless and so the ethernet is getting a manually assigned IP.

I suggest that you disable the ICS and make sure that the ethernet TCP/IP properties revert to dynamic.

Sometimes encryption between the router and adapter get "out of sync." Disable encryption on the router, try to connect by both wireless and ethernet to the router and show another ipconfig /all.

8. G-Stress

G-Stress

I'm sure the above will probably resolve your issue, but also check your services by

Start -> Run -> services.msc

Be sure that

Computer Browser (I think)
    DHCP Client
    DNS Client
    Network Connections
    Remote Precedure Call (RPC)
    Server
    TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
    Workstation

Are all started. I think all those are required hope I didn't miss any

9. iamrandom

iamrandom Thread Starter

@TerryNet:
    I've disabled all the firewalls and any other protection software on the computer. We've never used any encryption for the wireless.

I'm not sure about the ICS or TCP/IP. Can you explain that a little more?

@G-Stress:
    All of those things are started. Should Remote Procedure Call (RPC) AND Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator be started?

I've periodically been getting access, but it still sticks mainly in "acquiring network address".

10. G-Stress

G-Stress

For ICS goto your network connections in your control panel, right click the adapter the wireless adapter and select properties, then goto advanced tab and uncheck allow other computer to connect through this computer connection.

Also on the general tab highlight TCP/IP Internet Protocol then click properties and make sure that IP and DNS are set to obtain automatically. Also you did mention other computers are working fine so make sure you don't have mac filtering turned on or if you do make sure the problematic pc 's mac is on the accepted list.

11. iamrandom

iamrandom Thread Starter

ICS was unchecked. IP and DNS were set to obtain automatically.

All other computers in my house are working perfectly, both wirelessly and wired.

How do I look into this Mac address/ mac filtering?

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Then check the other connections (including dial up) for ICS; your ipconfig /all indicated that ICS is enabled, but ipconfig cannot tell us for sure on which connection.

It's your ethernet connection that you have to make sure the IP and DNS are set to obtain automatically.

MAC address filtering is a "feature" of a router; login and look around until you find something talking about such things.

13. iamrandom

iamrandom Thread Starter

None of my network connections showed ICS enabled.

I think I found the MAC address filtering, its a feature called "Wireless Card Access List" that requires a Device Name and MAC address to add computers to the list. This feature was not used.

I'm thinking of calling Dell support--good idea or bad idea? Will they be able to do anything, especially since I can't connect to the internet to allow them to snoop around?

Any other ideas?

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    How about trying to connect to the router by ethernet and wireless at the same time and showing another ipconfig /all.

I can't comment on Dell's phone support; I've never had the patience to stay in their queue for more than 5 minutes. But another ipconfig /all will be good info for when you call.

15. G-Stress

G-Stress

hmmm... I had an issue similar to this a few years ago only it would never give me an ip address it would just hang on acquiring network address forever. It turned out if I remember right that it was an issue due to an "LSP Fix" (Layer Service Protocol) I can't remember to much about it and don't have time to check at this moment, but I think what I did was I use and still use BPS (Bullet Proof Spyware) Protection and it has an option to fix the LSP, I believe that is what fixed my issue.

Not sure if it will fix yours just thought I would throw that in there since it sounds a little related.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/723298

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice