1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems Adding RAM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Richard Solomon, Jan 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Richard Solomon

Richard Solomon Thread Starter

I have a Pentium III-550 MHz system. The MB is a ABIT BE6-II. They claim it can hold up to 768MB of RAM. I now have 128 MB of RAM. When I removed the 128 MB stick and added 2 X 256 MB sticks the computer locks up loading Windows (WIN98SE). The RAM sticks came from Critical Tech and were the proper ones according to their web site.
    Any ideas what I can do ?

2. esdxc37

esdxc37

did you put the dimms in the right slots and were they correctly seated

your m/b has 3 dimm slots slot 1 being nearest the processor if you put them in slot 2 and 3 the computer will not start they need to be in slot 1 and 2

3. jakoval

jakoval

Have you tried the new sticks individually?

4. brianF

brianF

See this article on large amounts of ram with windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q253912

Also the dimm sockets on abit motherboards with the bx440 chipset can be populated in any order, you can put it in any of the sockets.

Was the memory detected properly when you booted up.

What type did you buy, spec's

5. esdxc37

esdxc37

what they mean when they say populated in any order is that any combination of size of dimm can go in any slot but slot 1 must be used first

6. brianF

brianF

Not arguing but my bx6R2 has no dimm in dimm 1, but in 2/3/and 4.

Also have two abit BF6's that have been used with slotkeys, the fans for the processor got in the way, never installed anything in dimm1 as it wouldn't clear the cpu fan

7. esdxc37

esdxc37

ok i accept your answer
    just in the olden days dimms/simms had to be 1 first then 2 then 3 etc
    always followed that maxim so ::
    you learn something everyday

8. Richard Solomon

Richard Solomon Thread Starter

The computer recognizes the memory sticks upon turn-on. It's during the Win98 load that it freezes. The sticks were the ones recommended by Critical Technology for the ABIT MB.
    And I did seat them properly (sheesh !!).
    One comment was about upgrading the BIOS, the chaps I bought the computer from said I could do it at my peril !! Very reassuring.
    Since the computer works OK with 128 MB I might just chalk it up to the "Black Art" of computer science. Before anyone jumps on that statement, I wanted to upgrade since the memory was so cheap. I guess its true, you get what you pay for.

9. slipe

slipe

Put this on a floppy and boot to it. It will check out your RAM to make sure it isn’t bad: http://www.simmtester.com/PAGE/products/doc/docinfo.asp

Does your MB maker or computer maker say you have to flash your BIOS to install more RAM? Don’t flash the BIOS unless it will accomplish something for you. It usually doesn’t improve the RAM capability of a MB.

10. ratchet

ratchet

Richard Solomon,
    Been having similar problem, contacted my M/B manuf. and got this reply:
    For using SDRAM modules on SL-54U5,the modules must based-on 2M/4M/8Mx N and 16Mx8 SDRAM chips, because SL-54U5 use the chipset of VIA MVP3 chipset, it does not support 32M X N and 16Mx16 SDRAM, so please contact with the SDRAM module's vender ensuring what kind of SDRAM type you have. If the SDRAM modules is based-on 32M X N and 16Mx16SDRAM type, it will not be supported by SL-54U5.
    If you search
    http://www.crucial.com/
    by mother board it will list memory with these specs.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66253

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice