Problems after installing a second NVIDEA GForce Graphics Card!!!!!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

RATIONALMOVE

Hi,

I've had an NVIDEA GForce MX400 AGP graphics card in my PC when I built it a couple of yrs ago & it has always been fine. However I recently installed a Gforce PCI GForce MX4000 card so I could use a second monitor. However, both monitors , althogh working, have become very slow eg when I scroll down a webpage.

The Screen Refresh Rate for both cards was set at 60 Hertz. If I add a new value of 75 Hertz & then set it at this , the screen starts to shake about so u cant even read it.

I assume the problem lies in the settings, b'cos it was fine b4 I installed the second card.

Cheers :)

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I've had several systems with a single dual output video card and they've worked like a champ. I confess I never tried to do it with two cards. It sounds like there's some sort of conflict there. Any reason you didn't look for a $60-70 card with dual outputs?

I wasnt aware that you could use 2 video cards!

Interesting.. I would think conflicts exist :)

-Gonz

RATIONALMOVE

i bought a second card because it was cheaper 2 buy another pci card at £30 rather than a £60 dual display card :confused:

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
It may not have been cheaper in the long run. :) It is possible to use two video cards, but there may be specific combinations that play well together. I've only installed dual cards once, that was some time ago.

RATIONALMOVE

hmm, I thought that as both cards are the same make NVIDEA Geforce they should be compatible. or is this being a bit naive???

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Probably a bit naive, but it would seem to be a reasonable assumption. There may yet be some simple solution, but it's not coming to me at this time. :confused:

do both cards show up in windows and drivers installed for both? havet really heard of many having good luck out of 2 cards cause all conflicts they cause probly why they started putting dual outputs on single cards. I thk the main problem comes into affect is each card trys to make itself the primary card. ID pull both cards install one install the drivers get that running good then put the other card in with monitor connected to it only and get it running then try both connected to monitors. Most things will only work on the primary card.

RATIONALMOVE

Bal3Wolf said:
do both cards show up in windows and drivers installed for both? havet really heard of many having good luck out of 2 cards cause all conflicts they cause probly why they started putting dual outputs on single cards. I thk the main problem comes into affect is each card trys to make itself the primary card. ID pull both cards install one install the drivers get that running good then put the other card in with monitor connected to it only and get it running then try both connected to monitors. Most things will only work on the primary card.
both cards show up in DEVICE MANAGER / DISPLAY ADAPTERS as enabled (if thats what u mean).

As for drivers - If u look at their website they both use the same driver download - so i put both cards in & installed the newest drivers ONLY ONCE (hopefully to cover both cards)

Thnx 4 the help guys!! :)

do 1 card at a time put one in install driver then put other in. and install the driver maybe one card is gettting the geneirc driver.

I'm having a very similar problem connecting two monitors to my PC. My PC has an onboard GFX Card which I disabled in the Bios when I installed an NVidia GeForce4 MX 400 and its been working fine, however, I decided recently to experiment with TV output on my Old PC and also decided to try and hookup my spare old monitor to the newer PC. I've gone into the Bios and re-enabled the onboard graphics card and booted up. At first all seems right. Straight away, I get the little ballon tip stating that it has discovered new hardware and comes out with the right graphics card... However, while it is installing the new drivers, my primary screen switches off and the second screen does not turn on meaning that I can not see ANYTHING making it impossible to finnish the installation.

I have tried removing the NVidia card and just running on the onboard card and all is fine, the drivers install with no problem and the spare monitor works. Thinking that now the drivers are installed and I wouldn't have to do them again, I plugged the NVidia card back in and booted up. Windows comes back onto the original screen but yet again it prompts me to install drivers that I have already installed... Any ideas as would really like to make use of two monitors

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online