1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems after installing Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by mastershi, Nov 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mastershi

mastershi Thread Starter

Sometime but not immediately after installing windows 10 my computer (not slow, custom-built for gaming) got a lot slower in some regards. Namely when it comes to windows functions.

Accessing/creating folders or files, opening, saving and any other file explorer functions (including opening file explorer itself) have become tediously broken.

My D and E disks didn't work. D was later fixed by an autorepair (I've been putting that off for a long time, could that have caused the problem?) but E is still corrupred and unreachable.

Any app that I can still launch also doesn't run well, having short freezes from time to time. My guess is that this happens when the app tries to reach for files which takes time like mentioned above.

Also, the shutdown tab doesn't work and I have to turn off the computer manually every time.

To some of you a virus may come to mind, but I find that very unlikely.

Thank you.

2. LIS333

LIS333

It’s a long shot, but since you say this behavior did not appear immediately after installing 10, it sounds like a PC that hasn’t been restarted in a while and is acting wonky. Restarting would fix that, however, you are manually shutting down. There is a setting in 10 called fast startup. It is available in the Control Panel under Power Options when you select What the buttons do on the left. Below, under shutdown settings are four checked boxes of which this is the top one. If it’s checked, uncheck it. It’s supposed to hold only drivers in memory to allow a faster restart but seems instead to be a hibernation setting causing “PC Narcolepsy .” Be sure to save the setting after unchecking and then restart. You can test my theory by hitting control + alt + delete to bring up task manager. Check the performance tab, select CPU and check the uptime. More than 2 days would prove the point. BTW, hitting control + alt + delete also reveals a power icon in lower right of screen which gives you a choice to restart. Anyway, that’s my 50 cents. I️ could be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. jenae

jenae

Hi, well turning off fast start is a good option, I should mention that it does use the hiberfil.sys file and is integral to hibernate, that is by design, not any error. It can also be somewhat controlled by altering the amt of physical memory available to the hiberfil.sys file, normally 40% using powercfg for fast start use only, set this to 20%.

I suspect you have a problem with the Shell experience Host process (possibly also searchUi.exe) these two effect the user interface and do cause your sort of problems. Easily fixed.

Press the win + x keys together select Powershell (admin), from the power menu.
    Copy these two cmds separately and right click anywhere in the powershell window, they will append to the prompt, press enter, Restart computer.

Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost | foreach {Add-AppxPackage -register "$($_.InstallLocation)\appxmanifest.xml" -DisableDevelopmentMode}

Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.Windows.Cortana | foreach {Add-AppxPackage -register "$($_.InstallLocation)\appxmanifest.xml" -DisableDevelopmentMode}

4. mastershi

mastershi Thread Starter

Sadly, nothing has worked. Any other ideas?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1199306

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice