Problems after Norton Internet Security uninstall

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Stat guy

I have been having computer problems ever since I installed Norton Internet Security 2006 several months ago, so I recently uninstalled it (and Norton LiveUpdate) via Control Panel.

After the uninstall, I was not able to run vbscript and jscript (getting error message "Can't find script engine "VBScript" for script ...").

Based on a search of the web about this problem, I did the following:

1. run regedit
2. HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT > VBScript set Owner (which was blank) to Administrators and the permissions to Full Control for SYSTEM, Administrators, and Myself (I am only user and have admin priviledge).
3. Likewise for subkeys CLSID and OLEScript.
4. Reboot.
5. run regedit and check permissions; they are as I set them.
6. run regsvr32 vbscript.dll and get error message "DllRegisterServer in vbscript.dll failed. Return code was: 0x80004005" (which was the same message I was getting when I ran regsvr32 vbscript.dll before setting permissions).
7. I also tried the above booted in Safe Mode and it failed in the same manner.

Based on what I saw that had to be set right after a Norton Internet Security uninstall and to run Windows Automatic Updates (which has not been working on my computer for a couple of months), I did the following:

regsvr32 msxml.dll
regsvr32 actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 urlmon.dll
regsvr32 comcat.dll
regsvr32 shell32.dll
regsvr32 oleaut32.dll
** all above succeeded

regsvr32 msjava.dll
** Failed with error "LoadLibrary("msjava.dll") failed - The specified module could not be found."

regsvr32 mshtml.dll
** Failed with error "mshtml.dll was loaded, but the DllRegisterServer entry point was not found. This file can not be registered."

regsvr32 vbscript.dll
** Failed with error "DllRegisterServer in vbscript.dll failed. Return code was: 0x80004005"

regsvr32 jscript.dll
** Failed with error "DllRegisterServer in jscript.dll failed. Return code was: 0x80004005"

Notes: I have run several virus and spyware scans on my computer with several programs (SpywareDoctor, Spy Sweeper, Kaspersky, Zone Alarm, TrojanHunter, and Security Task Manager) and they come out fine (both in normal mode and safe mode).

Any advice on this problem would be greatly appreciated!

Stat guy

Thanks for the help. I just tried the norton removal tool, but it didn't help. (I did search the Symantec Knowledge Base before uninstalling NIS, but I never saw links to this!!! I just saw instructions to use Control Panel!!! You gotta wonder about Symantec.) I will now try a system restore after backing up my computer. Again thanks.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online