Problems after PC Reset

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

katdragonz

Ok, so I tried to reset my pc and once it reset and did whatever it had to do, problems arose. I boot up my laptop and it states, "The computer restarted unexpectantly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows, click 'OK' to restart the computer, and then restart the installation." I have clicked ok and it restarted and brought me back to the same screen with the same prompt. I've googled on what to do to no avail. I cannot press shift-F# to open anything as it doesn't work. It just changes my brightness and whatnot. I also can't open the control panel. Please help me. Thank you.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
To confirm, 'resetting your PC' means to tried to reset your machine back to defaults, or doing a clean install of Windows?

I normally see that message when I am trying to do a clean install of Windows and it fails a part of the way (in my case the computer was shutting down during the process)

katdragonz

To confirm, 'resetting your PC' means to tried to reset your machine back to defaults, or doing a clean install of Windows?

I normally see that message when I am trying to do a clean install of Windows and it fails a part of the way (in my case the computer was shutting down during the process)
I'm pretty sure I was attempting to reset it back to defaults.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
What is the make and FULL model of the laptop
If it came with other than windows 10 installed and you choose reset - then choose reset to factory condition it will use the inbuilt recovery partition
and if that was 8 for instance then that it is what it would attempt to go back to

What options did you choose on the reset screen

If it came with 10 OR was upgraded to 10 then you can clean install free of charge however you will lose all data

katdragonz

What is the make and FULL model of the laptop
If it came with other than windows 10 installed and you choose reset - then choose reset to factory condition it will use the inbuilt recovery partition
and if that was 8 for instance then that it is what it would attempt to go back to

What options did you choose on the reset screen

If it came with 10 OR was upgraded to 10 then you can clean install free of charge however you will lose all data
I don't particulary know the make or model of my laptop, my apologizes. I chose to reset but keep personal files? I downloaded Windows 10 onto the laptop a bit after my father gave it to me.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I don't particulary know the make or model of my laptop, my apologizes. I chose to reset but keep personal files? I downloaded Windows 10 onto the laptop a bit after my father gave it to me.
Usually the laptop will have the name / model on the screen. On the bottom of the laptop is where you should be able to find the information.

I don't normally do installation on personal computers these days, but I think you may need to use a USB version of Windows installation, which means it will most likely wipe everything out.

katdragonz

Usually the laptop will have the name / model on the screen. On the bottom of the laptop is where you should be able to find the information.

I don't normally do installation on personal computers these days, but I think you may need to use a USB version of Windows installation, which means it will most likely wipe everything out.
Ill try to get that, thank you

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online