1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems after restarting computer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by captainbaldo, Jan 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. captainbaldo

captainbaldo Thread Starter

Hi guys and gals,

I'll try to give the condensed version.
    I recently got some "new" parts to build me another computer. Installed Windows XP just fine, but was having hardware issues since my CD burner was quite old, as well as the sound card and modem. Rather than bothering with all of the driver downloads from companies that may or may not be in existance anymore, I figured I would just reinstall 98SE. So, I wrote zeroes to my hard drive, did an fdisk, did a format. Started Windows 98 installation, went okay through the first part, then after restart, the computer would POST to the point of listing the processor speed, memory, and detecting the disk drives, but then stop there. If I wait about thirty minutes or so, then start it back up, it gets past that point and continues just fine. But never enough to get Windows back on. Finally, I broke down and got some new parts (new sound blaster and US Robotics modem and got a little bit faster processor --AMD Athlon Classic 750Mhz) and decided to try XP again. Same problem about the having to wait 30 minutes after every restart, and I also get this "sfloppy.sys is corrupt" error message that won't allow me to continue XP installation. Sometimes, I get "faulty plug and play drivers" error messages. Tested the hard drive and it seems like there's nothing wrong, memory and motherboard are new (not to mention everything was working fine before I uninstalled XP the first time). Upgraded to new BIOS, didn't help. What the heck is going on, and what can I do that won't cost me more friggin' money!?!?

Thanks for all your input!

2. perseous

perseous

One thing that is real important is was XP fat32 or NTFS? I need to know that before I can help any more. Sorry but tell me that and will be able to provide more help.

3. captainbaldo

captainbaldo Thread Starter

I originally used a Windows 98 boot disk to format the hard drive with FAT32, but then when I installed XP (the first time, when it worked) I converted it to NTFS.

This last time, I decided to use the built in partition and format that comes up when you boot to the XP setup program on the CD (I was going to select NTFS), but I get those error messages before I can do anything in setup whatsoever.

One more thing I forgot to mention before, not sure if it matters or not: sometimes the errors I get during XP setup are just a message in the middle of the setup screen, sometimes I get the "blue screen of death"

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66986

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice