1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems after setting up DC on second server

Discussion in 'Networking' started by rkselby98, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rkselby98

rkselby98 Thread Starter

I am new to networking and this is the first time I have tried to set up any servers and I am self-taught so you have to make things simple for me to understand. Thank you.

I have two window 2000 advanced SP4 servers I am setting up at a Christian Academy. Everything worked good until I upgraded the second server to a DC. Now I can't access any files on the opposite server.

EXP. If I am on server #1 and try to access the shared files on server #2 I can't access them. I could before I upgraded server #2 to a DC.

I can't connect clients to the servers, I could before the upgrade. The only way I can get the two servers to share files was to give permission to each to access the other and I know this isn't the correct solution. This just allows the servers to share files but doing this won't allow clients to access the servers.

I've tried on a client to demote the domain to a workgroup and then back to a domain but when I do the server (domain) can't be found error appears. I've reset DNS on servers and on clients but no help.

I would appreciate any help solving this problem, I have one week and the staff will be back to work and they need to be able to logon to the network.

Thank you and have a great day.

2. rhynes

rhynes

When you ran DCPROMO, did you create a new domain by chance? or add as an additional domain controller?

The original server you have would have held all the roles for the network, the second DC will be an additional. Was this the case on your setup?

Download the 2000 support tools here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/servicepacks/sp4/supporttools.mspx

At the very least, run dcdiag /v and post your results. List the server names for your first server and the addon DC.

3. rkselby98

rkselby98 Thread Starter

After shutting down the system and setting up some clients it fixed itself. Guess it just took a really long time for the settings to catch up to what I was doing.

Thanks for the reply, it is greatly appreciated. One other question:

I have 3 OUs, one for teachers, one for staff and one for students, is there a way to use GP to set the internet options for each group. In other words I want the teachers and staff to be able to use cookies but the students I don't. There are some other controls I'd like to use the same as this but I am not sure in IE maintance how to set them up for different groups.

Any ideas or isn't it possible?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590763

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice