Problems after System Mechanic 6 Install

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

The Big East

Due to a recommendation I saw on the PC World website I decided to give System Mechanic 6(SM6) a whirl. I have had my current computer for 16 months now. I am running Windows XP Pro SP2. I am also diligent about using security software (I use Zone alarm and have a hardware firewall as well, use Etrust antivirus, Spysweeper, Spybot, Ad-aware, CCleaner etc). I have had the occasional problem with software packages and other issues but nothing research or System Restore would not cure.

However, this time I need help. I downloaded the free trial of SM6 and after letting it run its full gauntlet of utilities the problems began. From what I understand, SM gives you the ability to revert your system back to its original state before you used it. However, apparently that capability is not turned on by default as I found out to my chagrin. Also SM as part of its working defrags your system including the System Restore points. I found that last point out when trying to use System Restore after problems starting cropping up in my system. All the System Restore points were no longer usable. I have since deleted SM from my system. This did not solve my problems however.

The main problems I have encountered have to do with programs no longer working or not working at all. I had installed a trial of Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0 which no longer worked after the SM installation It stated that the serial number was not valid. In addition, I downloaded a trial of JV16 Power Tools after the SM installation and when I tried to click on the icon the use it, it would not boot up. I can see the program trying to work-it brings up the window very quickly then disappears. The 2005 version of Tax Cut did a similar thing. I tried loading the program off the CD but it would not boot up the installation screen.

I then decided to go into Safe mode and lo and behold the JV16 Power Tools program and the Tax Cut program both worked! I do not know what is causing my computer to behave that way. I know SM makes changes to certain settings on your computer but I do not know what changes it may have made.

I tried using Msconfig to boot my computer using different startup routines using Normal Startup and variations on the Selective startup choices but nothing had any effect on these problems. I remember using Run and typing a command once that brought up a list of many service and programs and offered the choice to turn them on or something similar(perhaps enabled or disabled?) and I’m wondering if that may be of any help. It was not under Msconfig but something else. A tech support person from a DSL company had told me about it and later I used it to turn on Norton Ghost 9.0 which was not booting because it was disabled.

I am at a loss as to what to do next. I have run a full security sweep and everything is “a-OK”. I am considering using Norton Ghost 10 which I had installed previous to the SM installation to revert my computer back to the restore point Norton Ghost established when I did a full copy of my hard drive to an external hard drive I own. I have never used Norton Ghost to do this. I have spent the time to copy all my important documents, emails, programs and the like to DVDs in preparation for using Norton Ghost in case anything goes wrong.

Before I use Ghost I thought I would give the Tech Support forums a try to see if anyone has any suggestions. Any and all would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

I purchased & installed SM-6 Pro about a month ago and thus far have not had any of the problems that you mentioned. In fact my PC appears to have improved speed. :rolleyes:

I am interested in this post because I have noted a network problem. I can access the other 2 PCs on my home network but neither on can access the one running SM. Both PCs cane see the files but when I try to access them I get a violation. I can not find where to correct the problem.

I did not have the problem prior to installing SM.

Sorry :( that I do not have a solution for you but I am trying to figure out SM.

The Big East

Thanks for your reply. I'm glad SM is working well for you for the most part. If anyone else has any comments I'd appreciate hearing from them.

I think SM deleted some registry entries for the programs you are trying to run. I take it that program problably has a registry cleaner, and if it does it might have removed some entries causing your programs to stop functioning. I would just reinstall the programs.

The Big East

Thanks for your reply Wayne. However, 2 of the programs not working were installed after SM was installed. SM does have a registry cleaner along with a defrag function and a security utility which may change certain settings on your computer. I believe my problem most likely lies with the changes SM made to my computer but the registry could have been goofed up as well. Who knows-that is why I may be using Norton Ghost by Monday. Thanks again.

B&J

Dear “bkdc” – in reference to your networking problem after installing System Mechanic 6: I’ve had the exact same networking problem occur after installing/running System Mechanic. The S-M machine can “see out” to the network just fine, but the other computers can not “see in” to the S-M installed machine, or even view it appearing under Microsoft Networking's computer work groups. Have you figured any fix for this?

I corrected this same networking problem on one other System Mechanic installed computer in the past by finding the local security policy enabled - “Network Access: Do not allow anonymous enumeration of SAM accounts and shares”. I disabled the policy and presto, the computer regained fully functioning network capability. However, this same fix doesn’t appear to work for my current problem machine. This might be due to the previous fixed computer running Windows Media Center, while my still ‘network handicapped’ machine is running XP Pro, and doesn’t appear to even have the same security policy listed as the earlier computer.

I’ve entirely uninstalled System Mechanic, plus painstakingly searched through the Registry for any and all references to S-M in it’s various guises. That didn’t help either.

I’ve been trying to get the System Mechanic tech guys to help me with this networking issue since late 2006 via emails back and forth. All they do is refer me to their online help topics, none of which is applicable at all. I’m beginning to think their “technical help” is really just a computer program which scans e-mails for keywords, then refers the writer to pre-canned, and useless help references.

I certainly would appreciate help from ANYONE!

I had a major problem when running Registry Mechanic 6.0. Here are the details -make of them as you wish.

PCtools.com have Registry Mechanic 6 which is rated as 5 star.

Now this is the gist of what I have sent them:

1, I use 32 bit XPpro/SP2 on my default drive and 64 bit XPpro/SP1 on my slave drive.

2. I had 48 different programs on my default drive, amongst which was your program all of which ran perfectly, but:

3. I then ran Registry Mechanic 6 and removed 58 items that were found.

4. Found that I could not close down my computer normally and closed it in Windows Task Manager

5. The computer would not boot-up at all and stopped half way during the boot up.

6. It did boot in Safe Mode and there I restored what had been removed.

7. But still I could not either close down properly or boot normally

8. This created such a problem that I was forced to wipe the drive, re-format and install XPpro/SP2 only.

9. Before updating security from Microsoft I installed an ran your program. It found 11 errors!

10. The result was that about 40% of the 72 security updates could not install

11. Restored these errors from Registry Mechanic

12. All but two security updates could then be installed, but one of these .net Framework,1.0 update, prevented the use of the Welcome entry without having to use a password

13. Gave up. Wiped and re-installed again and have no more problems . I have to say I have used your earlier versions with no difficulties.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online