Problems after System Restore.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

AlbertaJes

Okay, like a week ago, I was at my sister-in-law's house, and her FIL "helped" me with my computer. I didn't need or want the help, but him being the person he is, I got it anyway. So, I got a ton of updates that I'm not sure I needed, and I know that I didn't want, and (like I knew they would), they've screwed up my computer.

I run XP Pro on this computer. We had 2 user identities, and everything set up nice. Our internet ran reasonably fast, and we were happy with it.

Since this man messed with it, the internet slowed down to the point where it took like 10 minutes just to load one page. Forget trying to load 2 at once. So I attempted a system restore, because I can't very well uninstall all this crap that is now ingrained in my system.

Of course, the earliest restore date is after the stuff was installed, but I did it anyway, thinking maybe I did something after the fact that messed things up. It worked great for the first day, then overnight something happened and it got all slow and nasty again.

So yesterday I attempted it again. And well, to say it was a fiasco is an understatement. I am down to one user identity, the other one is unaccessible. I can open less than half of the programs on my computer, the others say that they need to be reinstalled because the application configuration is incorrect. My taskbar is completely white and unusable. My start menu can be opened with the keyboard, but the only option in there is "all programs" of which, of course, less than half work. I can access my control panel by searching for it, but a good portion of that doesn't work either.

I tried to undo the last restore, and it didn't work. It still comes back the same.

Can anyone help me, either with directions to fix this, or directions to someone who knows more? I'm kind of lost, and since all my software came with the computer, reinstalling is going to be fairly expensive...

Thanks.

Computer is a Toshiba Satellite, with XP Professional. Internet is cellular via an AirCard.
The message that comes up when I try to open programs gives me the filepath at the top, then says "This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."

It doesn't sound like your FIL did anything wrong. You're supposed to routinely apply Windows updates to keep your OS better-protected as new exploits in Windows are discovered. It's not so much a "dire necessity" as much as it is "something you'll deeply regret if you don't do." Now here's the Catch 22: Sometimes Windows updates don't install correctly and blow your whole operating system. I recently had a fiasco where I installed a security patch and my PC stopped booting to desktop. It happens. It's not his fault.

For starters, I would back up whatever data you can and run a full system recovery. Satellites come with recovery CDs or DVDs, depending on the age. And all you have to do is drop it into the disc tray, reboot, and hold down C as soon as your computer powers on. This will wipe out the contents of the hard drive and restore your laptop back to factory settings, just like when you first pulled it out of the box on day one. Any preinstalled software that came on it will be there as well.

If you lost or can't find your recovery discs, call Toshiba. They'll be happy to overnight a new set of CDs to your house for somewhere around 10-12 dollars.

AlbertaJes

See, there's the problem. It was blatantly obvious that they weren't installing properly, and he kept at it anyway.

My computer is 2nd hand, and didn't come with any cds at all. I guess I'll be contacting Toshiba.

Thanks.

Oof. Yeah, that was a dumb thing to do... if you see an error message of any kind while patching Windows, you need to bail out.

One other thing I forgot to mention: This will most likely *not* happen to you, but when you get to running the system recovery (after you order those discs,) a lot of model Toshiba laptops will say that those discs you have are for the wrong machine. Don't panic! It's a DMI glitch. You can find the fix for this problem in the driver downloads section for your laptop on Toshiba's website. But again, this might not even be a problem.

AlbertaJes

Okay, so due to various problems and hassles, I cannot get those recovery disks.
I bought a brand spanking new copy of Windows and installed it yesterday.

Now nothing works. I have my taskbar back, and everything looks normal. Everything worked for about 2 minutes, and then quit on me.
I was getting this DrWatson has encountered an error and must be terminated message, so I disabled it, but apparently DrWatson wasn't the issue.

Now when I try to open a folder from my desktop, I get this message:
"explorer.exe - Application Error
The instruction at '0x026ae9fa' referenced memory at '0x00000000'. The memory could not be 'written'.
Click on OK to terminate the program"

I get the same message with different instruction numbers for Control Panel, My Documents, etc. I can open other programs, but some of them won't close once they're open.

I'm on a different computer at the moment, and unsure if the other one will function long enough to download anything.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online