1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

problems after using ad aware and spybot

Discussion in 'General Security' started by grippychicken, Dec 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. grippychicken

grippychicken Thread Starter

I have a laptop with XP, my husband ran ad aware and spybot yesterday and ever since i cannot get the scrabble application to load on Facebook. This may be a coincidence but i think it's connected.

Sorry I know this is a minor problem, and hope i have posted in the right place.

I'm getting serious scrabble withdrawl!!

2. grippychicken

the other strange thing that happens is when i click on the scrabble i get a browser information popup bar that says

' your security settings do not allow websites to use activeX controls installed on your computer.This page may not display properly. click here for options.....'

But when i click for options all i get is a 'more information' option which just tells you about understanding the internet information bar.

Hope that makes sense.

3. Soham

Soham

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

On IE, go to Tools > Internet Options > Security tab > click on the Internet globe, then click on Default Level.

5. atnskyline

atnskyline Banned

dont use adaware and spybot, they have crappy definition updates. use systweak advanced system protector and superantispyware

6. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

After your last recommendation of this product, I installed and ran it to see what it would find. To my surprise it is full of false positives, and if I had blindly removed what it found, the following apps would no longer be running:

Secunia
    TCP Optimizer
    All Nirsoft Software utilities
    My Custom Shutdown scripts
    Internet Explorer Custom Zone Maps
    and a Port Monitoring application.

As a result, it was quickly uninstalled and I would classify this "advanced" software is worse than a registry cleaner and it would appear to do just as much damage.

This is NOT a product that we should be recommending.

7. atnskyline

atnskyline Banned

really, that doesnt happen for me????? is it possible that sometimes its false positives and sometimes not???? i found no false possitives.
    what free antispyware would you recommend me install and use and compare with the findongs of systweak

and i use comodo registry cleaner with great results, my system is super fast and everything works much better and no lags and crashes. i seriously dont understand why everyone says no to them? please explain it to me without saying(because it creates problems and stuff like that).

8. Kenny94

Kenny94 Banned

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registry_cleaner

Look how the Disadvantages out weigh the Advantages...:eek:

9. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

You may not be seeing false positives (or maybe you aren't reviewing each of the "trojans" this software keeps reporting) because you don't have the software elements installed that I (and others) do.
    The key point is that just because some piece of software appears to run on one PC does not mean that is will function correctly on all PCs. Differences are due to hardware and software installed.

As for Registry Cleaners, you may "think" that it is resulting in a fast system, but there is no evidence, other than anecdotal, that shows any performance increases as a result. In this case keep in mind there are 2 aspects to these apps. First they "clean" things, things that it believes are "errors" when in fact they aren't. Plus they take "educated(sic) guesses" as to what should be removed. Again, depending on the particular PC these may have no detrimental affect, whereas in another environment, it can take the PC completely off the air (unbootable). In this case, backups which everyone seems to rely on, are of no use.
    Secondly, some of these apps offer the ability to compact the registry. This can result in some gains, but mostly at boot time. For general performance, they have little affect.

Since these type of apps (Registry Cleaners and this "Advanced System Protector) can result in items being removed that should not be, we do not recommend their use.

Obviously, it is still a personal preference to run one on their own machine, but they are must too dangerous to "generally" recommend them, as they serve no useful purpose.

10. grippychicken

Hi thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately didn't work.:(

Any other ideas any one??

Someone suggested mozilla firefox, but someone i know used this and it seemed to have killed their pc!

11. grippychicken

I seem to have found a way around the problem, i've switched the browser to Google Chrome, and it seems to be running fine on there :)

12. hewee

hewee

Never heard of "systweak advanced system protector" and first thing I was thinking was I bet it's on the Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products & Web Sites but it is not listed.

But at the site your see a ton of software and most is bad. Your also see Trustworthy Anti-Spyware Products and as you can see the list is a lot smaller because there are not as many good software programs that you can trust.

WhitPhil found out by trying it you can not trust it.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/775909

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice