1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems booting into Vista with dual OS

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by manganime, Aug 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manganime

manganime Thread Starter

Hi all,

I had Windows XP and Vista installed on a machine working as dual OS. Today I installed a third OS which was Windows XP 64-bit which booted fine but I experienced problems getting onto my orginal 32 XP (which was my default at the time). I managed to fix this problem in the Boot.ini and now both XPs are booting fine but I can't seem to get into Vista.

I know that Vista doesn't use Boot.ini but I couldn't get bcdedit.exe to run either and I think the MDR is thrashed or something. Is there a way I can fix this problem?

2. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

have you tried using a vista dvd and try a start up repair?
    I dont know what will happen ..it works when a dual boot is installed with xp being last on...i dont know what will happen with this triple boot.
    Its worth a shot...i seen it do miracles before.
    I used it to fix a drive whos recovery partition was C and the os was D
    This showed with disk management as well
    I finally booted a g parted disk and marked the vista install with the boot flag....did a start up repair with the vista dvd and all was well.

Also you can move a partition with g parted...copy and paste etc.
    if you can free up some space on your disk you can copy the paste last install of xp and put it before vista..then delete the one you copied from
    you would then have xp,xp vista...the windows bootloader will handle everything fine as vista will be the last on.
    This is the method I would use as all the drive letters should remain happy,

3. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Brett888 beat me to it, but Startup repair should work fine with 2 versions of XP and Vista/Win7
    Usually just need to do bootrec /FixBoot, but can't hurt to do a couple other steps as long as your booted to the DVD:

Restore Vista/Win7 after XP (Re)Install

Boot with the Vista/Win7 DVD
    Select Language, click Next
    Click Repair your Computer
    It will search for and find the Vista/Win7 installation; Highlight it.
    If using Win7 Disk, select Use recovery tools that can help fix problems starting Windows.
    Click Next
    Click Command Prompt.
    Type the following and press Enter:
    bootrec /FixMbr
    bootrec /FixBoot

Close the Command Prompt
    This should fix it, but can't hurt to run Startup Repair
    Click Startup Repair. When finished, click Finish, then click Restart.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/851826

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice