Problems Booting Laptop

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Lizzard-hiss

Hello,

I am having problmes booting my laptop. Normally for my desktop I'd just pop in the CD and boot from disk, but with this computer it isn't that simple.

My computer: Sony Vaio VGN-x505ZP
My OS: Windows XP Pro
The Problem: When I restarted my computer at one point (after trying to clean off some spyware) it told me a file was missing or corrupt: <windows root>system32\hal.dll

I think it ended up in the recycle bin by accident, but it hasn't been totally deleted.

The computer does not have an optical drive - no CD rom, or DVD - and no floppy disk. It does have two USB ports, a 4 pin firewire port, a cardbus slot, and I can connect an ethernet cord to it. But I don't have the CD drive to boot it from disk.

So.

Now, at one point I got to the command prompt and pressed F2 and changed some settings (I thought it would help) so that it would boot up from a different place.

And now the computerwill start and says :

Intel(R) Boot Agent Version 4.1.08
Copyright (C) 1997-2002, Intel Corporation
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel Boot Agent.
Operating System not found

Arg! So now, if I hit just about any key, the computer shuts down, and restarts - I can't type anything or get to the startup settings options with F2.

I can however plug in my ethernet cable , and when I do that i get:

Intel(R) Boot Agent Version 4.1.08
Copyright (C) 1997-2002, Intel Corporation

CLIENT MAC ADDR:08 00 46 EA 02 6C GUID: 095780A0 4B66 11C6 8BBB080046EA026C
PXE-E53: No boot filename received

PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel Boot Agent.
Operating System not found

Arg again!

So I have no idea where to go from from here, any help at all would be appreciated!!

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
At this point, I'd be tempted to remove the hard disk and connect it to a desktop with a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter and fix the files in question.

You can't boot from the network unless there's a server on the other end configured to supply the boot image to the machine. My guess is you don't have such a server. :)

Lizzard-hiss

OOhh!!!

I manged to get into the BIOS setup utility! (using ECS+F2, apparently sonys need you to hit ESC as well)

umm...... so is there anyway to force it to boot from a thumb drive?

Lizzard-hiss

Ok, my new update (sorry to keep posting)

So, I managed to fix it so I am back to:

Windows could not sstart because the following file is missing of corrupt:
<windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

Ok, so this laptop does have an i.Link (firewire) port. And I the correct cable to hook it to my desktop - is there anyway to boot it from the dvd rom from my desktop?

How can I do a i.Link boot otherwise? It give me that option in the BIOS.

Thank you so much!

Lizzard-hiss

My last and final update (as it might help others):

I manage to recover my computer!! yay!!

Ok, so, I went on the Sony website and chatted with tech support and it appears that you can run the Recovery Wizard when your computer starts up by hitting F10.

It worked perfectly and its back up and running (naturally I lost any info on my computer, but as I have only had it for a month I didn't have anything that important on it).

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online