1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems building a PC: upgrading BIOS, and CPU/fan problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ntjiang, Oct 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ntjiang

ntjiang Thread Starter

I had a new motherboard FIC VL13L and Celeron 2.2G. But the motherboard has a older version of BIOS which can only support Celeron 2.0G. I tried to upgrade the BIOS but it requires a supported CPU, which I don't have. How can I solve the dilemma?

Another problem is before I realized the incompatibility between the motherboard and the CPU, I installed CPU + fan and powered up for several times. Then when I removed CPU and fan, they were stuck together and couldn't be seperated. Is that the way it's supposed to be, or did I damage them already?

Please help! Thank you very much.

Jason

2. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann

well, im not sure about the mobo issue, but i'm pretty sure that the cpu and fan shouldn't be stuck together. did you apply a coat of that goo stuff? (i forget what it's called, some sorta lubricant yadda yadda)

3. joeyd

joeyd

Regards the CPU

I think in some cases it depends on the thermal paste. On the heatsinks we use in notebooks, in 99% of cases we do not apply a thernal paste as the heatsink has a "square patch" of black paste already applied. In a lot of cases if we have to remove the cpu after it has been on soak test, the CPU will be stuck quite firmly to the heatsink. We have to very gently pry them apart using a small flat head screw driver. It is probably not the recommended way to do it, but we have not broke one yet.

However, as we have 100's of replacement cpu's it wouldnt cause us too much of a problem if we did break it, if you only have 1 cpu u better be very very carefull.

You may not need to seperate them tho, as it will probably still work fine

Joey

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Personally, I'd leave the two together, unless there's some good reason to separate them.

As to the BIOS, are you saying you can't even power up and get to the BIOS setup? If so, the only way I see to upgrade is to get a compatible CPU to do the upgrade.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!