1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems burning cd's

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by flyboy320, Dec 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. flyboy320

flyboy320 Thread Starter

I have a Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-840S drive in my laptop, and am having problems burning cd's. It fails during the write process. I am using the latest version of Nero, and use Memorex cd-r for recording, and I have attached the burn log.

2. LuckyStrike

LuckyStrike

3. flyboy320

flyboy320 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply LuckyStrike.

I have had the same problem when trying to burn data files as well. :(

4. LuckyStrike

LuckyStrike

Hi,

About two years ago my sister-in-law asked me to copy a Brothers Gibb cd for her. She said every time she tried to copy the cd it would fail during the write process. I tried to copy the cd for her and suddenly I could not copy the cd either. Just like on her computer, when I tried to copy the cd the process would fail during the write process. Not only that, I discovered that not only could I not copy cd's, but I could not burn my own data files to cd either. Fortunately I happened to have an external cd-r drive that I had bought for my wife's laptop and some sort of proprietary burning software came with it. I do not remember the name of the software. I found that I could burn data files or even copy other cd's so long as I used the external drive with the proprietary software.

Sometime later (several months), after removing some sort of malware detected by Spybot S&D or by AdAware, I discovered that my internal cd-r drive and my Roxio burning program could copy cd's and burn data files again. I am convinced that there was some sort of copy protection software embedded on that Brothers Gibb cd that installed something on my computer that hosed my ability to use my burner and burning software. Then whatever it was, was detected and removed by one of my anti-malware programs several months later.

I relate to you my anecdotal story because your comment: "I have had the same problem when trying to burn data files as well." rings a bell.

I don't know if this will help you, but if you do not have them already you might try downloading and installing AdAware, Spybot S&D, and MS Antispy and update them and then run scans.

5. flyboy320

flyboy320 Thread Starter

Well I was able to finnaly burn the cd by selecting the write speed from the default of 24x to 4x and it burned it no problem. Don't know if it was a coincidence or not, but perhaps it was poor quality media that just cannot be burned at the high speed.

6. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

Have you tried using another brand of blank CD? HP disks are the best in my opinion. Also make sure you have the latest firmware for your CD writer.

Rollin

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/427444

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice