1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems burning divx files to dvd using divx player

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by evelyniko, Dec 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. evelyniko

evelyniko Thread Starter

Hi. I have been using Divx for the past 3-4 years to convert .avi files to Divx to be played on my Phillips DVD player (which plays Divx files).

For the past couple of months I've been having problems with the DivX Player that burns the files onto dvds - it just doesn't work. I can load the files like normal, it shows me that it's transferring, and after anywhere from 30 seconds to 1 1/2 minutes, it tells me transfer has been completed, when in actuality, nothing has been done.

I have contacted Divx about this, and have received no suitable solution to this problem. I have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling Divx+, as well as older version of Divx, but all to no avail.

One of the features I liked about Divx was the ability to fit multiple files onto one dvd (I could fit anywhere between 4-6 movies). And, of course, the fact that we could view these films on our regular TV, via our Divx compatible DVD player.

I don't know if you're aware of this problem. If you are, do you have any recommendations as to how to deal with it?

If not, could you recommed another converter/burner that will allow me to burn multiple files onto a dvd to be played on my dvd player?

Thank you.

2. evelyniko

evelyniko Thread Starter

I just thought I'd add that I've already got most of my files converted to Divx.

3. Lozzy-loz

Lozzy-loz

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Can you burn any files with anything? In other words, are you sure that the drive is not the problem?

If all you are doing is burning avi files to disk, then any burner can do that. If the files can be seen on the final disk as avi files, then they are just being burned as files and any burner will do the same thing, like CDBurner XP, Infra Recorder, or many other free ones.

But try burning any ordinary file to CD or DVD (try both since the lasers are probably different and one could be burned out). If that doesn't work, then the drive itself may be faulty. They don't seem to last very long these days.

5. evelyniko

evelyniko Thread Starter

Hi. Thanks for both your answers - the problem is with divx itself. Divx is aware of the bug, apparently, for various users it has been going on for months. It hit me nearly 2 months ago. And they haven't been able to find a solution to the problem. I have also posted there, as I purchased the software nearly 2 years ago.

These are not .avi files, but .avi files that I have converted to divx using the divx converter, so that they can be played on my Phillips dvd player. The player won't play straight .avi files.

I will check out that burner. Hope it works for me. Thanks.

6. evelyniko

evelyniko Thread Starter

Hi. Just thought I'd let you know that I did download this burner and, it appeared to be working (went through the entire burn process, but at 2.4 speed) and ejected a 'complete' disc, when I loaded the disc into my dvd player it took forever to load and then I got the dreaded 'error - bad disc' at the end.

Although I suspect it's not my dvd burner, I will have that checked out this week, just in case. Thanks for your help.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

What burner did you try?

What is the file ending of these "DivX" files that you have on disk? DivX is an avi format, so they should have avi file endings (if they end in divx, then they can be simply renamed to avi and they will play the same way - no conversion is needed).

A quick way to test whether the problem is with Windows or your drive is to load another operating system and try to burn a disk with that. You can make a bootable CD with an OS on it.

Parted Magic disk partitoning tool (Bootable CD image)
    If you prefer a bootable USB key, download and run Linux Live USB Creator. Choose the Parted Magic distro, and it will download it and automatically create a bootable USB key.

This CD (or key) contains many useful tools. You can partition, recover files, recover lost partitions, make disk images (by several different methods), transfer files between media, scan for viruses (It can serve as an Alternative Trusted Platform for search and elimination of rootkits and bootkits), examine and benchmark hardware, access the internet, and much more.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971556

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice