1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems burning DVD's

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by BrianFLL, Nov 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BrianFLL

BrianFLL Thread Starter

Every time I burn a DVD either from video files or copy my own personal non commercial DVD's the picture gets all "pixleated" and breaks up about 4-5 minutes into the DVD on play back and will often stop and restart from the beginning. I get the same problem on either of my 2 DVD burners. I also get the same problem if I use Nero 7, DVD Shrink, DVD Fab Platinum or other programs. This problem is new, it just started recently and I can't figure out why. The picture quality is great otherwise, no sound issues. I do not get any error message and the burn process seems to be normal. I've tried slowing down the burn speed but that doesn't matter. I looks through many pages of thread and don't see a problem like this posted. I'm running Windows XP SP2 with over 3 GB or Ram and an AMD 64 3200+. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be causing this and how to fix it? Thanks in advance to anyone that offers help. :)

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Are you using DVD blanks all from the same cake by chance? If so I'd say try another brand or different cake to see if the blanks are faulty.

Are you verifying after the burn and getting a burn was successful message from that?

3. BrianFLL

BrianFLL Thread Starter

I have tried discs from different batches and different brands. An I am getting successful burn messages.

4. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

I'm stumped. I'm assuming you've tried playback in at least two and possibly more DVD players/drives. Successful verification, three or more authoring programs, two different burners, different brands and cakes of DVD blanks....you've done a really good job of troubleshooting already...so like I said, I'm stumped.

5. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Fire up Nero CD-DVD Speed and run a 'Transfer Rate' test on your burns. You want a nice clean line.

[​IMG]

You can also use the 'Info' tab to identify who actually makes your discs. Using different brand names does not always mean different discs. Imation, Fuji, TDK, Memorex can all be made/supplied by the same manufacturer.

6. BrianFLL

BrianFLL Thread Starter

Fairnooks - You are correct I've tried all the things you mentioned in your last post.
    MysticEyes - I ran the test as you suggested. I've attached the results. What do you think? It starts out like your example but then it appears to take a dive. I also checked the info tab, the disc was made by Sony which is what the label says.
    I have done some more experimenting and I think it has something to do with the "Book Type". I'm not 100% sure what this means, I did look it up but still don't really get it. I changed the Book Type from Automatic (which seems to default to DVD-Rom, which from what I read seems to be the preferred type) to "Current Recorder Setting" I was able to burn a DVD that worked just fine. I also changed the Priority from low to High. I think the Book Type is what made the difference cause when I tried the other options I burned discs that wouldn't work. Do you think this Book Type thing is the problem?

Attached Files:

7. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

What you want to find is media that is a good match for your burner. Your pic shows what seems to be a slight problem with the burn, your burner had to slow down to read that area.

Booktype (bitsetting) means tricking your player into thinking your +R is a DVD-ROM. This is claimed to enhance compatibility. It should help.

I might try some different discs to see if it helps. Experimenting can get expensive though. I always use Verbatim -R's or 8X -R Taiyo Yudens. Also note that some older burners (8X) will have problems with newer 16X discs regardless of the burning speed.

You might look to see if your burner has been reviewed here as they do media tests also.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/

8. BrianFLL

BrianFLL Thread Starter

The discs I'm using are the same ones I've been using for a while before the problem started.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/657748

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice