1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems Changing Screen Resolution

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by galldor, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. galldor

galldor Thread Starter

Hi, I cant change the resolution on my laptop. If i select another resolution it dosn't display the whole screen (e.g. only the top left of the screen magnified). The only resolution that works is 1280x800. I've noticed that the screen refresh rate is always 60hz (you cant change this)

I have an acer aspire 5000 laptop with a widescreen. I have tried reinstalling the graphics drivers but not sure what to try next?

Can anyone help?

Thanks
    Nick

2. Daredeval756

Daredeval756

Find the drivers for your video card and download them from the mfg website.

!!! Do Not Use Windows To Update The Drivers !!!

//Daredeval756

3. Carey934

Carey934

An LCD panel does not 'refresh' so the refresh rate is irrelevant.

An LCD screen has a certain number of pixels horizontally and vertically. This means the maximum resolution you can see on your screen is equal to the number of pixels you have. If you exceed that, then your screen will need to 'move' around to see the entire resolution.

An LCD screen has ONE native resolution. The native resolution is when all pixels are lit and displays the best possible picture that LCD screen can display. Anything other than that resolution will look worse. Welcome to the wonderful world of LCD screens.

You can learn more about how LCD screens work here:

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/lcd.htm

Hope this helps,

Carey Holzman
    Co-Host: Computer America Show
    www.computeramerica.com

4. guitar

guitar Banned

right click anywhere on desktop goto properties display settings/advanced/monitor here you can change refresh rate i use 75hz

5. Carey934

Carey934

Changing that refresh rate affects only an external monitor...

But if it makes you feel better... go for it.

6. norton850

norton850

The native resolution of your laptop, meaning where it will look best is 1280 x 800 and 60Hz. So you really don't need to change anything. As pointed out no reason to change the refresh rate to 75Hz. Still you should be able to change the resolution if you wanted to. Have you ever been able to change it?

7. guitar

guitar Banned

really!:confused: is that true?

8. Carey934

Carey934

Do a search on Google if you don't believe me. Or read one of my books, one of my articles or listen to my radio show when we have an LCD manufacturer on...

9. guitar

guitar Banned

thanks i learned something:D (y)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!