1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems connecting a router with Win 7 and Win XP.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by SDiaz, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SDiaz

SDiaz Thread Starter

I have a Link-sys router with the wireless feature. I've been trying to connect my laptop (win 7) and my pc (win xp) with the router which is connected to a DSL router. Both computers show limited connectivity. I don't want to use the wireless feature as I don't know if it even works or how to secure it if it did and I'm also a gamer. Not really sure what other information to include.

2. pedroguy

pedroguy

3. SDiaz

SDiaz Thread Starter

I tried a few months back and wasn't able to get it to work so I gave up. Now I need it because I got a new laptop. I'll give that tutorial a try and see if it works.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you haven't secured the wireless channel, someone may be using it, even if you aren't. You need to either secure it or disable it if you're using wired connections.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Brand and model of the DSL modem or modem/router, please?

6. SDiaz

SDiaz Thread Starter

The wireless router connected to my DSL modem is "Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router:Model number-WRT54GS". The DSL modem is a "Verizon Westel: Model number- G90_610015_20".

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That Westell is actually a modem/router combination unit, and like the Linksys the default LAN IP address range is 192.168.1.x. That combination almost never works, so you can do any one of 3 things.

a. Bridge the Westell, to act as a modem only. See How do I use a router with the Westell 6100?.

b. Change the LAN on one of the routers to use something else; e.g., 192.168.3.x. This is easiest to configure, but leaves you with two NAT layers, which is usually not good for games.

c. Use the Linksys as just a switch. If you are not going to use the wireless disable it. That will not only keep your neighbors out but should save electricity and may prolong the life of the router.

JohnWill's procedure (Aug. 30, 2008) for configuring a secondary router as a switch and, optionally, wireless access point follows.

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together.

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. [You will not need a cross-over cable if one of the "routers" is a computer.] Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

For reference, here's a link to a Typical example config using a Netgear router

8. pedroguy

pedroguy

Also,the link provided in post 2 might be useful

9. SDiaz

SDiaz Thread Starter

I'll try this within the next day as it's late and I need to get rest for work tomorrow. I'll let you know if everything works out. Thanks.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920103

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice