1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

problems connecting computer to LAN

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Foley471, Oct 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Foley471

Foley471 Thread Starter

OK, I bought an old Compaq Presario 5150 in a garage sale, and it won't connect to my LAN. it's a Win 98 machine using IE 4.0 I've used the windows internet connection wizard, and checked my hardware profiles and still nothing. It has a built in networking card and I'm connecting from that to my router. Is there anything else I can try, or should I put in a new network card?

2. cj_white

cj_white

okay , first thing first; have you made sure that the NIC is working properly? by that i mean is it showing up normally in device manager? you can try and ping 127.0.0.1 to see if the NIC is installed. if you don't get any replies and the DOS window just closes when you do this then the NIC is not installed. if thsi is the prob the you may have to go into the BIOS and make sure its enabled. if it is and its showing an exclamation point in device manager then you will have to reinstall or find new drivers for it. are you able to ping your router from the compaq? you may have to make sure that the workgroup name is the same on all pc's. also that file and print sharing is enabled.

3. srhoades

srhoades

If the NIC is working, make sure and have it set to obtain an IP automatically.

(Check the BIOS to make sure the onboard NIC is enabled)

4. Foley471

Foley471 Thread Starter

OK, the ethernet card shows up as working properly in the device manager. However, in IP config it shows my IP as 0.0.0.0 Now, I've tried to get into BIOS but I'm having trouble accessing it. ESC, F1, F2, and delete all haven't worked. What button should I try pressing and when during startup should I press it to get into the BIOS?

5. pfizzle

pfizzle

try F10

6. Foley471

Foley471 Thread Starter

OK, onboard LAN is set to enabled. still nothing.

7. pfizzle

pfizzle

can you ping 127.0.0.1?

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

First off, in Network Properties, make sure the TCP/IP properties are set to obtain an IP and DNS address automatically.

If that still doesn't work, open an MS-DOS window and type:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Post the results.

9. pfizzle

pfizzle

try pinging 127.0.0.1 if that works you then know that your protocols work.
    since it is an older machine you might also try updating the NIC drivers and do the Windows Updates

try using this tutorial
    http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/net.asp

10. 10forcash

10forcash

If you can ping the loopback (127.0.0.1) open a command (cmd) window, type 'ipconfig /release' then press enter, then type'ipconfig /renew' then press enter i'm assuming you have a DHCP server running, if not you will have to enter your ip address manually through network connection properties. generally 0.0.0.0 indicates a bad network card or patch lead, if the card is detecting a network but no DHCP server, it will usually assign a default IP address starting 169.xxx.xxx.xxx
    Cheers,
    10forcash

11. 10forcash

10forcash

Sorry, just noticed you're running win98, you'll have to release / renew through winipcfg in the run dialogue
    Cheers,
    10forcash

12. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, W98 has IPCONFIG, it just has a slightly different command syntax.

IPCONFIG /RELEASE_ALL
    IPCONFIG /RENEW_ALL

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172982

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice