1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems connecting digital camera

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dhartmanva, Aug 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dhartmanva

dhartmanva Thread Starter

One of my computers (this one, the one that I want to get this to work on... :( ) doesn't work with my new digital camera. It's a Canon powershot S2. The computer is an old(er) Toshiba satellite laptop with Windows XP SP2 with security updates applied.

When I connect the camera, Windows recognizes the camera and installs the driver ("Digital Still Camera") in the device manager view, but that's it...it's not visible in "my computer" the way it is when things are working on the other two computers.

I talked to Canon tech support and they are stunped, since of course it works on my other two computers. What's different, you ask? Welll...all computers are different, purchased at other times; the ones that work are newer. The driver selected by the ones that work is the same as the one that doesn't. This computer has a small bit of brain damage that I have learned to live with...ever since installing one of the security updates, shortly after startup I get a message about some generic service has failed (I'll post the details if that seems relevant). Usually this just makes it so I can't use my speakers until I go in and resinall a media contol device.

Other symptoms: when the camera is installed, control panel just hangs when you select "scanners and cameras".

Any ideas? I've tried running spyware scans (clean), deleting and recreating the device (numerous times), ....?

2. great_dame

great_dame

Could you perhaps try installing the drivers before you plug the device in - manually, from the install disc?

3. dhartmanva

dhartmanva Thread Starter

well...there isn't really a driver for this camera, it's supposed to work with the ones from Windows XP. The computers that work don't have any software installed. Canon does have a software disk for this camera, and copious warnings about do NOT plug in the camera until the software is installed. I of course didn't read them and plugged it in without installing software...Canon tech support clarified that the warning doesn't apply to Windows XP...of course, this came AFTER I had done a restore of the system just in case...argh...:eek:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488378

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice