1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems Connecting in WIN98.

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by WIN98VICTIM, Jan 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WIN98VICTIM

WIN98VICTIM Thread Starter

So i made the mistake of volunteering myself to fix my girlfriend's mother's dinosaur. its a P1 133MHz with 64mb of Ram. What a Mistake.

I formatted and installed Windows 98 SE. Everything came back just fine except for the Modem. It will not connect to the internet by any means. there was a rockwell modem in there, but we replaced it with a new smartlink 56k (V.92 Ready / V.44 Ready)

Problem?
    Error message: the number you are dialing is not answering

What Happens?
    The modem dials, but actually hangs up before the first ring is heard. Its telling me that the computer it is trying to dial is not answering, but its not even giving it a chance to ring.

note worthy: when i pick up the phone during the modem's dialing process you will actually hear the connection buzz and fuzz after the error comes up and ultimately does not connect.

I've tried everything on the rockwell modem, every driver possible, even putting in a new modem with new drivers didnt fix the problem.

Someone help me, or my potential mother-in-law with think I am a moron.

Thanks much,
    Joseph

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi WIN98VICTIM

Welcome to Tech Support Guy Forums!

Did you reinstall Windows 98SE due to a problem with the modem?
    Or due to another problem?
    If so, was the modem working OK before?

Have you tried other access numbers?

What ISP is being used?

Any exclamation marks in Device Manager?

When you uninstalled the Rockwell modem, did you also remove the device from Device Manager while in Safe Mode?

When you installed the new smartlink modem, did Windows detect it?
    Is the new modem in the same PCI slot the Rockwell modem was using?
    What Com does it show for the new modem?

Let us know.

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Also check what Country it is set for in Control panel. The tones are different for different countries.

4. WIN98VICTIM

Thanks! I think i'll be using this place alot. Mostly for help, saddly. I am not one with many answers... in time, though.
    I reinstalled windows because the computer had not been formatted in a few years. apparently it has been passed along from one family member to another without ever been given a fresh start. I thought formatting it would be a good idea seeing as it was running slow as hell, even for a 133MHz computer.

The Rockwell modem was working OK before.

Its a local university (memorial university of newfoundland) connection. But I don't think it has anything to do with the service provider. I tried dialing to a normal phone and the modem gives up before the phone even has a chance to ring. usually about 10 seconds into the dialing sequence.

Exclamation marks in device manager? I can't say I checked. what should I be looking for, exactly?

I didn't do it while in safe mode.

Windows did infact detect the modem. it is in a different PCI slot. in fact, before it was in a different sized slot.

Its going through COM2.

I think when I reinstalled windows the Rockwell modem was having the same problem. but at the time I got a different error for ever different driver i tried to install, so I think the rockwell might still be functional.

Does that help anyone understand my problem a little better? Right now they are borrowing my laptop until i get this piece of crap fixed, and i want my laptop back.

a back rub for anyone who figures out my problem*

*some conditions apply

5. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

as the computer boots up use del/esc f1/etc to get into bios. it should be on the bottom of the screen.

i'm not sure what page it's on but you need to disable com2 with home/end/page down-up to disable it.

esc/f10 to save/yes and when the computer restarts the modem will probably be identified, installed and you'll be able to connect. :cool:

6. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi bearone2

What does disabling COM2 do?

Will it not be permanent?

Just curious ;)

7. DaveBurnett

Exactly what do you mean by this. Descibe the two different slots.

Exclamation marks stand out because they are yellow.

8. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

DaveBurnett

Can you verify bearone2's statement to disable COM2 in the BIOS?
    I do not see where COM2 is actually listed in BIOS, only the PCI configurations.
    I would think disabling either of the PCI devices in BIOS would make it permanently disabled.
    BIOS is not my strong point.

WIN98VICTIM
    It could also be an X on the device in Device Manager.

9. DaveBurnett

Is this an internal modem plugged into a PCI slot or is it external and connected to a serial port?

10. WIN98VICTIM

it is an internal modem plugged into a PCI slot.

And there are no exclamation marks or "X" beside the driver in device manager.

I don't think its the modem anymore as I have got the old rockwell to do the same thing, now.

Much Thanks,
    Joseph

11. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

if the pci modem is configured by jumpers or software to use com2/irq3, com2 must be disabled in bios to have the modem use com2.

no, it's not permanent and can be changed as easily as it's disabled.
    formatting/reinstalling the os will have com2 enabled as it's a default setting.

as i said i don't know which page its on in bios in you're situation. :cool:

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324151

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice