1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems connecting laptop to TV

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chris_in_la, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chris_in_la

chris_in_la Thread Starter

I am trying to use the s-video output on my laptop to connect to a television for the purpose of a casual presentation in my mom's living room. So far I have succeeded in getting the video signal to the TV by running from the s-video output to an RF Modulator, and then by a coaxial cable to the TV. Unfortunately I'm having the following problems:

1. The picture is not very clear on the TV. Words are blurry and it's very difficult to navigate windows because I can't really read anything. The powerpoint presentation is legible, but only for the really large text, and that isn't especially nice looking. Is there anything I can do here? I've already tried changing the screen resolution to the lowest, but that only helps a little.

2. There's no sound at all coming through. But the s-video connection should have sound too, shouldn't it? Is there a place I have to go to re-route the sound from the computer speakers to the s-video connection?

Your help is appreciated!

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

S-Video is VIDEO, exactly as the name suggests.

Sound is from the Line Out on your PC into the AV on the TV, its not contained in the video stream. If the RF modulator has sound input it can go there, but it may not.

TV Out is low quality as you have found. Thats why TV sets are so much cheaper than Computer monitors even though there is more involved (tuners etc). The screen resolution makes them almost unuseable for text based presentations.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269583

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice