1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems connecting to Broadband through an ethernet cable (Vista)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by off-on-off, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. off-on-off

off-on-off Thread Starter

Hi Guys

Firstly I hope this is in the right place, and apologies if not

I'm having some real problems connecting to the internet, and am looking for any possible solutions. I've had a quick look round the site, and there appears to be people with similar issues, but nothing that can be used to solve my dilemma. I have just moved into a new house with friends, and am using a new ISP which is working fine for the other two users.

I have a Packard Bell Easynote SW51-B-012 running on 32bit Vista. I am trying to connect to the internet through an ethernet cable running through a modem and router. When the ethernet cable is plugged into the port in my laptop nothing happens. The icon in the bottom right corner continues to have a red cross. The internet connection is with Virginmedia UK.

I have tried the connection on another laptop running on XP, and it connects straight away, automatically. I have also checked the port on my laptop on another internet connection at a friends house, and it has worked fine.

The modem is E08C013.00 Ambit
    The Router is EG-2180 Etec

Having had a good look round the internet, it appears this is a problem with Vista rather than the internet connection itself. I have attempted to update the drivers, but to no avail.

I hope I have given you enough information to aid in my quest for a working internet connection. Anything else you need to know? This is my last roll of the dice before I get a professional in to have a look at it, to be honest.

I look forward to anybody's suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your help

Dan:)

p.s. I've tried the whole restarting/turning the modem/laptop on and off etc.;)

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Well, since the ethernet LED does not light, but the NIC worked elsewhere, I would suspect the cable.

3. off-on-off

Hi Terry

I have tried two different cables, neither have which have worked. The cable has also worked on another laptop (the one with XP)

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Some recent laptops turn off the ethernet port when on battery and the ethernet is not used. With these laptops to get the port activated again you have to reboot with the cable connected or plug in the AC (and this may also require a Restart). Probably not your problem, but I'm still trying ...

5. off-on-off

Cheers for the help Terry.

The laptops been plugged in at all times, and I've tried restarting as suggested with the cable plugged in. Still nothing.

6. off-on-off

apologies, but *bump*

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

7. crashandburn

crashandburn

I am the engineer at a facility with a large infrastructure. One of my coworkers has the same problem, no ethernet connection through an older netgear 1 gig switch. Connecting to the cable feeding the switch works. I suspect some broadband cards have an incompatibility with older switches, routers, etc.

Suggest you bypass the router and try the modem output directly.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I've experienced several laptops that didn't like a specific switch here, changing the brand of the switch solved the issue. I think that crashandburn might be on to something. :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755518

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice