1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems connecting to the internet with new laptop

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mmelki, Aug 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mmelki

mmelki Thread Starter

Hello,

I've just bought a new Inspiron 9300 from DELL and am having issues connecting to the internet.

I've got Rogers Cable running to my desktop and works fine - when I unplug the desktop, plug the ethernet cable into the laptop (reseting the router & laptop) I can't access the net with a browser (Tried IE & Firefox), however I can ping rogers.com, my own IP etc. I have no firewall running and am using Windows XP Pro.

FYI - I've re-installed XP a couple of times to no avail.

Any suggestions? - Thanks

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

WINSOCK2 FIX
    =============
    If you can't access the Internet with programs like IE, Outlook Express, or other web browsers, you may have corrupted Winsock entries.

To Remove the existing winsock2 registry entries (regardless of the OS) run:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/reg/xp_del_winsock.reg

To add WindowsXP clean entries back in again, run:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/reg/xp_winsock.reg

WINDOWSXP with SP2

There is a new command you can run with SP2 which will reset the Winsock2 registry entries back to their default setting:
    netsh winsock reset catalog

TCP/IP RESET
    =============
    If you need to reset the TCP/IP protocol stack with XP you need to run a small script:

netsh int ip reset [ log_file_name ]

the log_file_name needs to be specified.
    e.g. - netsh int ip reset ip_reset.txt

3. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

silly question but did you setup an internet account on the laptop.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I believe you need to restart the modem if you switch the connection from one computer to another.

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

I just started two computers. Accessed the Internet from both. Swapped cables without resetting the modem, router or the computers, and the Internet worked fine on both.

6. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

i guess it depends on your isp.

with roadrunner, i don't need to restart the modem when i flip flop between several several backup computers, both laptops&pc's, wireless and wired thru a hardwired router + access pt for wireless. :cool:

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

First try the Winsock and TCP/IP resets.

If that doesn't work start some basic ping tests.

Ping the IP address of the router
    Ping an external site by IP address
    Ping an external site by Name.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    DoubleHelix and Bearone2, I think the general rule is to restart the modem when you change the device (router, computer) that is connected to it; not needed when you change or add computer(s) connected to a router, which in turn is connected to the modem.
    ---------------------------------------

mmelki, Take Bob Cerelli's advice!

9. mmelki

mmelki Thread Starter

Tried Winsock - no help

About to try the TCP/IP reset but am not sure of the name of the [ log_file_name ] in the following command:

netsh int ip reset [ log_file_name ]

Is it ip_reset.txt or was that simply an example?

As for the ping tests - it's already sending and recieving 4 out of 4 for all of the above

Thanks

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "I have no firewall running ..." [from your first post]

Are you sure, mmelki? A new XP machine should have SP2 and XP's firewall enabled, so you disabled that firewall? Actually that doesn't matter; it would not be causing this problem.

On the other hand, Dell usually installs a one- or three-month trial subscription version of Norton or McAfee; they control outgoing traffic as well as incoming, so make sure neither of those is blocking IE and Firefox.

11. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

So far I have not seen SP2's firewall cause problems with either connecting to the Internet or the LAN.

What was the result of the ping tests?
    The filename for the IP reset log file can be any name. "ip_reset.txt" was just an example.

netsh int ip reset ip_reset.txt

12. mmelki

mmelki Thread Starter

Well I just got it to work - I decided to uninstall norton firewall and system works then tried IE and it worked. I have no idea why this worked as neither program were set to run but oh well. (And yes I had manually turned off the XP firewall)

Thanks for all the help!

13. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

It's not uncommon for that to be misconfigured and cause problems with either the LAN or Internet connections. It is also not uncommon that they need to be uninstalled even though it appears that they are not running.

Glad you got it working.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/391113

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice