1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems connecting to the internet

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by glacier22, Aug 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. glacier22

glacier22 Thread Starter

Hi

I'm trying to get to grips with Windows 8 and I have installed Windows 8 64bit Preview on my spare machine on a separate partition from the Windows 7 64bit that is currently on this machine.

The Windows 7 64bit works perfectly, but when I boot to the Windows 8 64bit system I am unable to get access to the Internet or the HOMEGROUP on my main machine. The Windows 8 64bit system is "seeing" my connection but when I enter the Network Security Key (which works on the Windows 7 64bit system) I repeatedly get "The Network Security Key is not correct. Please try again"

I have updated the BIOS to the latest available from DELL (June 2011) and I have tried to upgrade an existing Windows 7 installation, but that doesn't work as you only seem to be able to install from a DVD boot. The router is a D-Link 615 and the driver appears to be April 2012 and was found by the Windows 8 installation disk.

P.S. Virgin Cable connection on the main machine

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8 Release Preview, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7400 @ 2.80GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 4094 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 3450 (Engineering Sample - WDDM v1.1), 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 199996 MB, Free - 159122 MB; D: Total - 276940 MB, Free - 231134 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0P301D
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

What encryption are you using?

Disable encryption on the router and try to connect that way. If successful then try with WPA-PSK encryption.

3. glacier22

glacier22 Thread Starter

Hi

Thanks for the suggestion

The only way I can get this to work is to reboot the D-Link dir615 Router, and the Cable Modem.
    The I get a connection.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Strange that the modem needs to be rebooted.

Make sure you have the latest firmware for the router; then reset it to factory defaults and reconfigure it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1064966