1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems connecting to the internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by adelnet, Dec 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adelnet

adelnet Thread Starter

I wonder if anyone can help I have a problem connecting to the internet, my main connection is with Freeserve Anytime with several other back up connections with other ISP's

A couple of weeks ago my computer became unstable. Prior to this I had no problems connecting to any of my Ips. I have reinstalled windows 95 and uninstalled and reinstalled internet explorer 5.5 . This solved my other computer problems but my connection problems started.
    I get two error messages when I try to connect

Error 691: The computer you're dialling in to cannot establish a Dial-Up Networking connection. Check your password and then try again.
    Error 645: Dial-Up Networking could not complete the connection to the server. Check your configuration and try the connection again.

I have done all of the following:-
     I have checked all of my settings against those recommended in your set up procedure.
     I have deleted my dial up connection and manually reset them.
     I have uninstalled and reinstalled my modem.
     I have checked and reset the settings.
     I have uninstalled and reinstalled my network configuration.
     I have checked and reset the settings.
     I have tried making a new connection with both the Freeserve & Virgin sign up disk and I get the error message 'Could not complete the connection to the server. Check your configuration and try the connection again.'

I thought that the problems therefore were my settings or configuration. However tonight I set up an account with ic24 on a friends computer and manually made a connection on my PC and although their service appears OK (I have used their connection to send this e-mail) I would prefer to be able to recover and use my old accounts. Preferably my account Freeserve Anytime.

Why should I be able to connect with this new ISP but cannot recover any old connections?

I have tried telephone help lines, they could not come up with any further help and only talked me through the same proceedures again. Can anyone help? I and my friends cannot think what the problem may be or what to do next.

Andy

I've already tried the solutions on the Microsoft help page

2. Rockn

Rockn

Seems to be an account issue, not a connection issue if you are getting an error message concerning passwords. If you have forgotten your passwords call the ISP and see if they can recover it for you or set up a new one. If you are trying to re-set up your original connections with the old username you will always ge tthe same error. How many dial up connections do you have in the Dial-up networking applet? Delete them all, go into Windows explorer and delete all files with the .pwl file extension and then try the connections again.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61964

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice