1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems connecting wireless router via ethernet cable

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Mrs Raven, Jan 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mrs Raven

Mrs Raven Thread Starter

Hi, I hope you can help - I am trying to connect a ZyXEL P660HW Wireless ADSL Modem router to my Windows XP SP2 desktop computer. I have had various problems but have now managed to get my LAN connectivity back and this is telling me my LAN is connected but the LAN socket on the router is not lighting up when I connect the ethernet cable into the back of the PC.

When I try to connect to the internet via the router nothing is happening and I get the following message after running network diagnostics:-

Error attempting to validate Winsock base providers:2

Not all base service provider entries could be found in this winsock catalog. A reset is needed.

I have run several winsock fixes, they all tell me the catalog has been repaired but I am still getting this error. I have re-set the router (several times) and have configured the IP address and default gateway. I can connect to the internet using my Speedtouch modem with no problems at all.

I have run out of ideas - please help!! :confused:

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

In the absence of any configuration information, I'll assume XP-SP2. The other WINSOCK fixes are not correct for SP2.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reboot the machine.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Good assumption, John! :) Mrs Raven confirmed that in her first sentence and in her Computer specs.

Welcome to the forum, Mrs Raven; and don't be concerned about our nitpicking each other.

4. Mrs Raven

Mrs Raven Thread Starter

Hi, I have tried your suggestion but to no avail, any other ideas? the only thing that has changed is that my LAN is now saying limited or no connectivity - still no LAN light on the router and still saying reset of the winsock catalog is needed.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "still no LAN light on the router"

If the ethernet LED on the computer is on with the cable connected the above probably means bad LAN port on the router or bad cable. If the computer's ethernet LED is also not on then the problem is bad LAN port on router, bad cable, or bad NIC.

OTOH I have no clue why you get those error messages.

6. Mrs Raven

Mrs Raven Thread Starter

Hi

The ethernet light is on on the computer but not on the router, do you suggest I need to get it changed or is there something I can do?

Thanks

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Then as I said earlier, "probably means bad LAN port on the router or bad cable." Of course, "probably" does not imply "guaranteed."

Ways to trouble shoot include (in no particular order)

a. try a known working cable
    b. try a different cable
    c. try a known working LAN port on the router
    d. try other router LAN ports
    e. try a known working computer with the suspect cable and/or LAN port.

8. Mrs Raven

Mrs Raven Thread Starter

Hi there, I have exchanged the router as ZyXEL support thought I had a faulty one. Have connected new router to computer and am having exactly the same problems - I have tried to renew IP address using CMD prompt and ipconfig /renew "Local Area Connection" but i got an error message which reads

An error occured while renewing interface Local Area Connection: unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.

My LAN is still saying limited or no connectivity and still no LAN light on my router, I can't believe I have been unlucky enough to get two faulty routers, any thoughts??

I am still getting the winsock catalog message even after trying Johnwill's suggestions.

9. kjjb0204

kjjb0204

did you try TerryNet's suggestion of trying a known working cable? That should be the first thing to try, and I didn't see you mention that as something you have tried.

10. Mrs Raven

Mrs Raven Thread Starter

Hi

I have managed to connect to the internet via the router - I didn't have a spare ethernet cable so couldn't try that suggestion but swapped the 2 pc's and connected vista via ethernet and xp via wireless. I have since swapped back and can now connect the xp pc via the ethernet cable and the vista pc wirelessly. The problem I now have is that if the vista pc goes online then the xp pc cannot connect until the vista pc goes off line.

We can connect at the same time as Nintendo Wii.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you are using the same static IP on both machines, change one of them.

Else, for both PCs please show ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

12. thekuth

thekuth

Tried this myself and no go. The strange thing is i'm accessing using msn but ie and firefox won't connect. Any solutions on this one?

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/669650

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice