1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems copying a large file from hard disk to portable drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by joeprice, Feb 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joeprice

joeprice Thread Starter

Hi guys

I've got a mac g4 and a lacie 250 gig portable hard drive.

on my macs hd i've got a number of mpeg4 files which I want to move onto the portable drive, each file is in excess of 5 gigs.
    Each time I try to copy a file over I get an error code 36 which states data cannot be read from or written to

the portable hard drive is running fat 32 as it needs to be viewable by a PC

Can anyone give me any suggestions as to how to get these files on the portable hard drive?

Many thanks!

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

There is a 4Gb maximum file size with Fat32. You'll have to split them or use NTFS. There are NTFS drivers that allows none NT based systems to READ NTFS partitions.

3. joeprice

joeprice Thread Starter

Thanks for the response
    How could I split the files?
    Could I span them over 2 zips say (or whatever the mac equivalent of zips are?)

and then once i've got the files onto the hard drive, can I then extract those zips to form one large file?

4. DaveBurnett

The problem is that the largest file you can have on a Fat32 partition is 4Gb so however you split it, you can only rebuild it into ONE file using the NFTS file system. If you already have a NTFS file system (NT,2000,XP, or 2003) then you can do the transfer without splitting it.
    If you split it and use Fat32 then whatever you use to read it must be capable of joining the files dynamically (on the fly). Otherwise you will have to read the files individually.

5. joeprice

joeprice Thread Starter

I could format the portable hard drive as ntfs however when I tried that before, it wasnt viewable on the mac......
    You mentioned drivers (mac drivers) to view ntfs partitions? any chance you could point me in the right direction?
    Thanks again for responding.

6. DaveBurnett

I've just been looking up some info and found that the Mac OS cannot handle FAT32 partitions greater than 137Gb, so you will need to split that disk into 2x125Gb anyway.
    I think the Mac OS X already has read only support for NTFS, but do a search on Google for MAC NTFS DRIVERS and see what you find there for your system.
    What you may end up doing is:
    Split the 250Gb into 2 partitions and format 1 as Fat32 and the other as NTFS.
    Split and copy the files to the fat32 partition using the mac equivalent of zip o. Use a NT based system to rebuild the files on the NTFS partition which can then be used READ ONLY by the MAC and Windows.
    The other way is to use an MPEG splitter (look that up on Google as well)

7. joeprice

joeprice Thread Starter

Thanks for your help dave, i'll look into your suggestions

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326346

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice