1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems copying and pasting from Excel into Powerpoint

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by pileyrei, Oct 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pileyrei

pileyrei Thread Starter

Hello

I'm hoping there is a saviour out there for me.
    I'd be grateful for any suggestion or advice.

I have two identical laptops (IBM Thinkpad T22). They are identical in build. They both have Windows 2000 and Office 2000 installed on them.

I have an Excel spreadsheet and Powerpoint presentation.

I highlight data from cells A1 to H15 in excel and click edit>copy.
    On a new slide in Powerpoint I click edit>paste special>microsoft excel worksheet object.

On the one laptop it pastes all the data in perfectly. On the other laptop only cells A1 to C15 are pasted in.

I have attached a screen dump from both pc's so you can better understand what I mean.

The only thing I have a hunch on is the settings. On both pc's, on the pasted data, I right click and select "format object". On the size tab I noticed that on the "good pc" the units are in cm but on the "bad pc" its on Inches ("). I changed the regional settings on the "bad pc" to English UK (Im in the UK!) and this changed the settings to cm's. I tried changing the size of the object on the "bad pc" to the same size of the object on the "good pc" but it didnt work. The settings dont hold. I change them but when I go back in they are back to where they were before.

Can anyone help me?
    I am baffled how two identical pc's have this difference.
    I have compared all settings (Tools>options etc) and they are all the same.

Anyone? :confused:

Many thanks

Pileyrei:confused:

Attached Files:

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Well, you won't believe it, no one does.
    Print settings have TONS to do with it.
    Make sure the same printer and driver are selected as the default on both PCs...

Better yet, don't use the method you're using.
    Select the cells in Excel.
    Hit the View % dropdown and choose Selected area.
    Save the file.
    Now, go to PPT.
    Insert-Object from file. Choose the Excel file.
    I HOPE you'll get better results, but I don't swear to nuthin when it comes to copying/pasteing from excel
    Also, pasting special as a picture often brings more desirable results, but won't be updateable.

3. pileyrei

pileyrei Thread Starter

Hi Dreamboat

Thanks very much for your help and suggestions. I've had issues in the past where printers drivers were to blame. Good suggestion, I missed that! Didn't work though. Ah well, always worth a try.

It's really strange, two identical pc's with identicals builds. Yet, copying and pasting produces different results.

I'm going to carry on as best as I can. Interestingly if I paste the excel data as a picture it works fine on both! The data needs to be editable so this option is not desirable. Maybe its something to do with the clipboard? Maybe not if it pastes fine as a picture.

So why does it not paste editable data properly??

Anyway, thanks for your help and ideas.

Pileyrei:confused:

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    >>So why does it not paste editable data properly??

Why? I have no idea.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!