1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems Deleting emails from Sent folder

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Duderino, Dec 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Duderino

Duderino Thread Starter

I have windows 7 and am using Windows Live Mail on my HP Pavilion g7 laptop. Every now and then a message that goes to my sent file cannot be deleted. For many of these messages, the original body of the communication is no longer displayed. What I see when I click on it is the wording:

Message cannot be found
    The contents of this message cannot be found.

Some of the emails however, still have the original body of the message. In both cases, when I click on delete, either from the pop up list or from the delete symbol in the top menu bar I get a single beep and the message: "An unknown error has occurred."

This has been going on for several years and I have contacted the Microsoft people to assist with this, but they have been unable to help me delete these messages. As of this writing I have a total of 86 of these messages I cannot delete. There seems to be no pattern to what will delete and will not re the people I have sent the messages to. This is not something that is causing any slow operation or other problems, but I sure would like to know how to get rid of these emails so I can keep this box cleared out. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. lakrsrool

lakrsrool

For each of the messages that you are unable to delete you could try a couple of tricks.

If the messages you are unable to delete are in the inbox then drag the messages to the "Deleted" folder and then if you want you can delete them from there.

If the messages you are unable to delete are actually in the "Deleted" folder then drag those messages to the "Draft" folder and delete them from there.

Let me know if this works for you.

3. lakrsrool

lakrsrool

If the above post didn't work out for you and considering that you have mentioned you have multiple messages that you want to delete you could try following the steps provided below.

There is a way to sometimes trick WLM in the event you want to delete multiple messages that are giving you that error you mentioned.

To try and delete messages that give the error message: "An unknown error has occurred.", do the following:
    1. What you want to do is to simulate forwarding multiple messages but not really forward to find and correct the problem you're having. Select multiple emails by clicking on one and then using the SHIFT to click and select a group of multiple messages on the page. Do that page after page (scroll down/up) and STOP at the time when the FORWARD button gets GREYED OUT. This means one of those messages selected has a problem and will probably not forward correctly and will also likely pose problems deleting as well.
    2. Now at this point hold down the SHIFT key and click each of the messages until you find the message that caused the problem. It will be just outside your selection, when your selection causes the FORWARD button to NOT be GREYED OUT.
    3. With a lot of messages still selected and concatenated, click on the Forward button. You'll get an error message "One or more messages could not be attached. Select OK to continue creating the note." Now be sure and Click CANCEL.
    4. Now at this point what may have been blocking these messages has been unblocked. So as of now with the selection still on, you can Delete them by simply clicking the Red X (delete) button.
    5. The message that greyed out the Forward can now be deleted as well.
    6. Keep doing that until you finish all of the messages you wanted to delete as of the time when you got the initial error you mentioned.

4. lakrsrool

lakrsrool

In the event you might be interested in another (additional) Email Client app you might consider the following.

Take a look at POP Peeper: Email Notification --- Pop Peeper provide the largest array of support for Email Clients that I'm aware of including MS Outlook which I use as well. The "Voice Notification" process that the optional "PlusPack" provides is really great (current price for "PlusPack" is only $10.00 and for me well worth it) because with the "PlusPack" I am able to hear whatever I want to hear about the messages at the time the message arrives (which I haven't seen in any other Email Client so far). I've got it setup to say "You've got mail" and then I hear listed off the sender for each message received at the time (besides the alert there is mail, you can have account name, subject, sender or any combination of these three as part of the voice message). Being able to hear more than just the typical "You've got mail" (you can have it say whatever you want of course) is a very helpful added convenience because also knowing WHAT email has arrived (who the sender is and/or what the subject is) for me is well worth the $10.00 it costs for the "PlusPack" not to mention some other added features this option provides as well. Most of my messages are not important enough to have to deal with on the spot, by getting besides just the typical voice notification that email has arrived but also getting who's the "sender" (or optionally the email "subject") then I always know when an important email has arrived that I need to deal with immediately.

The biggest issue is that if you go with the FREE version of Pop Peeper there is no Spell Checker. What I did was install TinySpell which is a very low resource spell checker that can be assigned or de-assigned to any app you choose so that way I can have a Spell Checker without having to buy the more expensive Pop Peeper Pro (link explains the added features). I did that for a while but eventually went with the Pro version because there's quite a bit of extra security that comes with Pro, but that's totally optional and you get updates for life either way you decide, either FREE or Pro.

Note: I have inside info that the Pop Peeper PlusPack will be going up in price from $10.00 to something in the range of $12.95-$14.95 in probably a matter of weeks so I thought I'd give you a "heads up" on this. The Pro version is of course totally optional and as I mentioned all updates for what you do have are for life, so it's something to consider that would bring added value for only $10.00 current price. The PlusPack also has RSS protocol and a Backup and Restore utility among other things as well.

I personally use MS Outlook for a lot of my email but because there are some Email Clients that will not work in MS Outlook (will also not work in WLM either) I actually use Pop Peeper as my primary method of monitoring Email messages. The Interface is straight forward and easy to work with and is not only very robust but can handle all of my Email Clients of which include Web Mail accounts such as Outlook, Yahoo, Gmail, Mail.com, Excite, Juno as well as Internet Clients such as VFEmail and Fastmail (Pop Peeper will seamlessly handle virtually all of them that I'm aware of).

5. Duderino

Duderino Thread Starter

OK thanks for the great suggestions. I tried both but neither worked. On the first one I tried several different ways to transfer those emails from my sent folder to either the deleted or draft folders as you suggested. All I got was that orig. error message plus another one that said: "The selected message(s) could not be moved. A problem has occurred please try again."

When I tried your second suggestion I noticed on the emails that still contained the orig. message the forward button was not greyed out. The other emails not containing the original messages had the greyed out forward button. So I selected several of the messages that were not greyed out and clicked on the forward button. That did not result in an error message as you suggested might happen. The email form came up with the highlighted messages attached and the address bar blank. So I didn't quite know how to proceed from there since this departed from the expected scenario. Please note I also tried including one of the greyed out messages in my grouping and could not proceed because the forward button was now greyed out for the entire group.

I see you also were kind enough to send another suggestion which I will now review and get back to you re that one. Thanks for all your help.

6. lakrsrool

lakrsrool

OK try this as far as another way to delete messages after the "Unknown Error" occurs. Right-Click one of the messages getting this error and then click on "Open" then when you get the "Unknown Error" error message then do another Right-Click the message again by right clicking on it and then click delete. See if your message is then deleted. This method will often end up with the result you want by finally getting the message deleted.

If this doesn't work, Right-Click on the Folder that has the messages producing the error and select "Synchronization Settings" for "All Messages" and see if this results in the messages getting deleted. By the way, I presume the messages ARE deleted in the Email Client for each of the accounts that WLM is setup to get messages, right? The Email Client Source that you log-in to on the web using your browser for each of these WLM accounts should not have any of these deleted messages. What "synchronization" should hopefully do (which it should have already done anyway actually) is match what is in your Email Client Source account.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  7. lakrsrool

lakrsrool

If either of the two options above fail to help you out then you may need to do a repair on your program. Please refer to the following steps to repair your Windows Live Essentials:
    1. Click Start button (Circle button with a Windows logo it).
    2. Click Control Panel.
    3. Click Programs.
    4. Click Programs and Features.
    5. Search for Windows Live Essentials then double click it.
    6. Click Repair all Windows Live programs.

WLM is notoriously unstable, which is why I had suggested Pop Peeper as an alternative. I've used WLM, but have generally had issues arise from time to time over the years and therefore as I said before I use MS Outlook for some accounts (not all accounts will work in MS Outlook) but on the other hand Pop Peeper handles all 39 of our accounts we have with minimal issues (I do however prefer to "send" messages via MS Outlook for the accounts that will work in that Email Client). Of course I realize MS Outlook is expensive so I can understand wanting to us WLM for this reason or of course there is the FREE version of Pop Peeper as well as options that with very minimal cost (that I mentioned before) that provides a lot of cool additional options without going with the PRO version.

8. lakrsrool

lakrsrool

If all else fails you could always remove (delete) the WLM accounts giving you the problems ("Unknown Error" messages) and then add them back again (making sure you're of course also deleting the account database when you remove the account itself from WLM).

Doing this should ultimately get you all re-synched with your Email Client account(s) hopefully. Again, as I said before WLM is notorious for having problems especially regarding the synchronization of accounts. Even MS Outlook will often take me 2-3 "Mail Checks" before I can get all my 23 accounts that I have in that Email Client synched successfully in MS Outlook but at least I can eventually get it done (note: I use "manual" Checks only for MS Outlook and leave all automated "Mail Checks" for Pop Peeper which provides me with a whole lot more options to be notified). Unfortunately for WLM getting messages synchronized can be problematic which at times will persistently produce these out of synch type errors you're currently getting that is simply never the case with every one of our 39 Pop Peeper accounts setup to use the IMAP protocol as I've found that they will always be reliably synched at all times with Pop Peeper.

Incidentally I too have Windows 7 and I do have Windows Live Mail (version 11) on an HP Pavilion g7 laptop just as you do as well but I very rarely use WLM to access the 20 accounts we have in WLM instead preferring the alternatives I've mentioned. For me WLM is essentially nothing more than a 3rd option backup to either of the other two Email Clients I use for getting our Email so I'm not nearly as familiar with WLM actually.

Oh, one more thing, are you current with Windows Update? If not make sure you're current with all of the MS Windows updates.

9. Duderino

Duderino Thread Starter

OK thanks again for all suggestions. Unfortunately none of them worked. When I did the repair you mentioned it told me it was repairing something and it took a few minutes. After this however, it did not clear the problem. I do not want to delete the WLM accounts, sounds to complicated for me and since the problem is not that serious I don't want to risk doing this. Also I am on auto update with Windows so am all current on updates. I think I'll just have to live with the problem. I don't think it's eating up that much memory space. I use WLM just for keeping in touch with friends and relatives, no business or anything like that to generate large amounts of email. Thanks again for you help and have a Merry Christmas.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1162264

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice