Problems doing a clean install of Win 7

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

holymoly

After many problems with Vista, I got Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit version for free from the college. :)

My PC is only 3 years old and with 4 GB RAM and AMD quad processer, so I feel confident with installing Win 7 64 bit version even though the Win 7 upgrade advisor couldn't run in Vista, again Vista problems.

SO I decided to do a clean install 7.

I use the set up and it does an update then asks which partition or HD to use. It did find the SP1 during the update process.Then it goes through about 5 minutes of gathering files and then, it comes back to the Install screen as if to do it all over.

I then did a restart, and the Windows 7 flash screen appeared followed by an error message "installation could not be started"

This is strange.

What is happening?

dustyjay

Jay
I would suspect the copy of windows. When you said you got it free from College, Is this a Genuine Windows Disc from Microsoft or one of the authorized by Microsoft downloads?

holymoly

Rest assured its a legitcopy downlaoded from the colege's website.

I presume the installer issues within Vista is preventing me from doing an upgrade or custome install to windows 7.

So now I am using the Vista disc not to repair but do a clean install, and that jsut happened now.

From this will do Win 7 install.

Make sure if you are doing the custom install that you choose the right HD to install it on. There is always an unallocated part of your HD set aside on windows, and its not very big.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online