1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems doing a clean install of Win 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by holymoly, Nov 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. holymoly

holymoly Thread Starter

After many problems with Vista, I got Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit version for free from the college. :)

My PC is only 3 years old and with 4 GB RAM and AMD quad processer, so I feel confident with installing Win 7 64 bit version even though the Win 7 upgrade advisor couldn't run in Vista, again Vista problems.

SO I decided to do a clean install 7.

I use the set up and it does an update then asks which partition or HD to use. It did find the SP1 during the update process.Then it goes through about 5 minutes of gathering files and then, it comes back to the Install screen as if to do it all over.

I then did a restart, and the Windows 7 flash screen appeared followed by an error message "installation could not be started"

This is strange.

What is happening?

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I would suspect the copy of windows. When you said you got it free from College, Is this a Genuine Windows Disc from Microsoft or one of the authorized by Microsoft downloads?

3. holymoly

holymoly Thread Starter

Rest assured its a legitcopy downlaoded from the colege's website.

I presume the installer issues within Vista is preventing me from doing an upgrade or custome install to windows 7.

So now I am using the Vista disc not to repair but do a clean install, and that jsut happened now.

From this will do Win 7 install.

4. Byrone4807

Byrone4807

Make sure if you are doing the custom install that you choose the right HD to install it on. There is always an unallocated part of your HD set aside on windows, and its not very big.

5. Byrone4807

Byrone4807

also it reboots after updates and contines dont touch it till it finishes loading updates.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
  7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!