1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems downloading files from sites (help me, help me pleeez, help me...)

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Onion Juice, Apr 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Onion Juice

Onion Juice Thread Starter

All of sudden today, for some reason, I can't download files from sites anymore.

Like for example, if somebody posts an MP3 file on a message board, I can't seem to download it anymore. I could on Monday and Tuesday, but today, I can't.

After I right-click on it the direct link and choose "Save As..."

Usually, the "File Download" dialog box would come up and soon after that, the "Save As" window would come up so I could choose where on my computer I could save the file, and after I would choose a destination for the file, it would return to the "File Download" box and show the download in progress.

But now, for some reason, when I right-click on it and choose "Save As", the File Download dialog box comes up and just stays there - it doesn't even show the download in progress nor does the "Save As" would come up. The File Download box just stays there (w/ the paper flying into a folder), then after like a minute, it'll just timeout.

I don't think theres any thing wrong on the other end; there must be something wrong on my end cause this happens to EVERY link I try to save from.

I've ran all of my anti-spy ware software, but they don't work. Been to the official Microsoft site for support and didn't find any help in their archives.

Is it something wrong with the browser or the settings?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. - I have an HP; Windows ME

2. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    Hello:

It may be your browser settings.

Go to control panel > internet settings and check the settings below:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. Onion Juice

Naw, that can't be it. I checked and downloads was set on "Enabled"

Thanx for replyin though.

Are there any other suggestions?

4. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    They don't work? What anti-spyware apps are you running and are they showing error messages?

5. Onion Juice

I got Ad-AWare 6.0 & Spybot. And Webroot Spy Sweeper is always running in the background of my computer to keep my homepage from being changed. None of them have error messages.

I ran them earlier today to fix the problem, one of the them found some spyware and removed them, but that didn't fix the probem Im havin w/ downloading.

6. panzer999

panzer999

Are you using a firewall? If so, try disabling it long enough to attempt a download.

7. Onion Juice

I don't have a firewall up.

I tried to download a Download Manager, but it won't even let me download software. There gotta some kidna solution for this - I don't wanna have to reinstall Windows.

8. Rockn

Rockn

Your ISP is on to you!! Seems like some sort of malware or spyware problem to me. Those MP3 download sites are ripe with that sort of stuff.

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    James
    Sounds like your connection to me. Have you spoken to your ISP on this problem?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/216442

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice