1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems Dual Booting Vista and XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Full-Throttle, Sep 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Full-Throttle

Full-Throttle Thread Starter

I do not know how to dual boot Vista and XP from two different hard drives other than using my BIOS to select the default boot drive. Here is my situation:

I have two hard drives in my computer. One is a 250 GB hard drive and the other is a 500GB. Both are SATA. I did a clean install of XP on the 250 GB hard drive. Then I unplugged the 250 GB and started the Vista installer with the 500 GB hard drive. I have partitioned the hard drive into two partitions. The primary partition is a 100GB and Vista is installed on it. The other is a 400GB partition. Once the install completed I plugged back in the 250 GB drive that XP is on and can boot both Vista and XP. The only problem is I have to change the boot order in my bios to choose which OS I want. Each drive is master on its own SATA controller.

Here is my question: Is there some way to just have an option when I boot to choose either Vista or XP so I don't have change the boot order in the bios.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!