1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems dual booting Windows 10 and 7

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Akril, Jan 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Akril

Akril Thread Starter

I have a new HP 14-al061nr laptop with Windows 10 installed on it and I'm trying to install Windows 7 on a separate partition. I created a bootable USB stick with Windows 7 on it using Rufus, and when I finally managed to change the boot order so the USB booted first, I got an error message saying, "The selected boot device failed".

I was unable to find any solutions to this problem, and in desperation, I decided to try this page's advice and start the Windows 7 installation process from inside Windows Explorer. Everything seemed to be going all right until the computer restarted. For a few seconds, I had a black screen giving me the option of which OS to boot -- Windows 10 or Windows Setup. Then the screen changed to this:
    win7error.jpg

I was able to get back into Windows 10, but I'm a bit lost as to what's going on, and I figured I should ask for help before I accidentally made things even worse. Does anyone know what's going on and what I can do to fix things?

Thanks in advance!

2. OverTallman

OverTallman

First Name:
    Jacky
    To install Windows 7 on a relatively new computer (which most probably uses UEFI), you'll need to go to BIOS, turn off "Secure Boot" and change boot setting to "Legacy".

3. Akril

Akril Thread Starter

I disabled Secure Boot and enabled Legacy Mode, then restarted using the Advanced Startup option. I clicked the Use a Device button, then the EFI USB Device button, and got the same "The selected boot device failed" message as before.

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
  5. Akril

Akril Thread Starter

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If you plan to dual-boot with Windows 7 and Windows 10 in the same hard drive, you should install the older operating system first.

Note: I've owned only computers that have a legacy BIOS and not a UEFI BIOS, so maybe that rule doesn't apply.

---------------------------------------------------------------

7. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    Did you change the Bios back from Legacy ? Do so if not and see if the Usb stick boots then.

Frank : I believe you are correct and the newer version of Windows should still be installed before the newer one.

8. Akril

Akril Thread Starter

I changed Legacy Mode to disabled, restarted with the USB stick in the drive and tried to boot from it. Again, same error message.

As for the older OS needing to be installed first, I've seen several sources claiming that it is possible to install Windows 7 on a partition on a computer with Windows 10 already installed on it while other sources claim otherwise. Either way, I'm feeling a bit lost.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    When you have a choice install an older version of Windows before a newer version. The reason is that an older version will not recognize the newer and not set up a dual boot. So, when installing the older second you have the extra step of setting up the dual boot. Otherwise the order makes little, if any, difference.

I don't know what the problem with booting the USB flash drive is. You created it with Rufus for UEFI, right? It is Windows 7 64-bit, right? If in the boot choices USB is offered twice (once for legacy) you've tried both, right?

10. Akril

Akril Thread Starter

Yes to both questions.

I'm not sure if I've ever seen two USB options. I'm pretty sure the only USB option I've been offered after rebooting through the Advanced Startup option and choosing "Use a Device" is "EFI USB Device" .

11. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
  12. Akril

Akril Thread Starter

13. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
  14. Akril

Akril Thread Starter

Regarding Post #5, I couldn't find any "Other OS" options to select. I created a new bootable USB following the steps linked in Post #2 and disabled Secure Boot, and this time I didn't get the error message. I got the "Windows is Loading Files" progress bar, which transitioned into the Starting Windows screen, but unfortunately, my computer froze on that screen. The same thing happened when I tried restarting.

15. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    I checked and HP only provide Windows 10 drivers for that model so the 7 install may not have drivers for some hardware on that laptop and that's why the install fails.

You could try installing 7 into a Virtual Machine running inside 10, VirtualBox should work for that and it's free.
    www.htpcbeginner.com/install-virtualbox-on-windows/

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1183483

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice