1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems File Sharing from Win2K to XP Pro Machine

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ew6050, Mar 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ew6050

ew6050 Thread Starter

My new employer recently gave me a laptop with Win2K on it and I can not get it to access a shared folder on my home machine that has Win XP Pro on it. I am doing this over my 802.11b network at home.

The message I receive when I double click on the icon for my Win XP machine in networking neighborhood on my Win2K machine is "The network place could not be added because the following error has occurred: There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request." I have never scene this type of error before and have no idea how to resolve it.

As background, my Win XP Pro machine is part of a simple workgroup I created via the "Set up a Home Network" wizard in Win XP. However, my work network is on a domain - I am not sure what that means but when I log onto my work machine, the Win2K laptop, I have to type [email protected][domain name] which I believe means we use a "domain-based network.

Any advice on how I can resolve this problem would be much
    appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. DWF_72

DWF_72

What it sounds like you need to do is to log on to the work laptop "Locally" instead of trying to log onto the domain. I don't know how it is even letting you log into the domain. Since if you are at home you wouldn't have a domain controller avail to log onto. But anyway, try logging in on that local machine and also make sure that workgroup is set to workgroup. Unless your XP machine has got a workgroup named something other than workgroup. If so, named the laptop workgroup the same.

HTH

DWF

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/124590

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice