Problems formatting new hdds and restoring system image

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

twinoaks13931

Details:

2010 Dell Studio XPS 8100. Raid 0 with two 1 Tb hard drives. Uses Bios only. System image made prior to hdd failure.

I am trying to use two 4 Tb hard drives. Since purchasing drives, learned Bios and MBR can go up to only 2 Tb per disk. Clone is 1.8+ Tb, so have to use Raid 0 configuration still to get enough recognized available space for W7 to even try. Raid 0 with 2 new hdd’s shows 3+ Tb. I’m having trouble getting the disks formatted properly for this to work. Combined drive has UDF format and my understanding is that it has to be NTFS and bootable and nothing I have tried so far has worked. When I use format=ntfs quick error says RPC server unavailable. Convert volume didn’t work either.

I purchased W7 Pro disk. I got it to load properly in the new hdd’s but could not complete recover/restore from my system image. I then started trying to do a repair rather than an installation and get hung up for different reasons at different times.

I could not find a W7 installation disk to buy, but I do have recovery disks made when I first bought the computer, but I seem to get further in the process with W7 Pro. Is it possible to restore a system image done on W7 Home using W7 Pro? Whenever I use my W7 Home recovery disk I cannot get it to open the image even though it shows up. The “Next” button never activates. Oh, and for added fun, I have 3 system images and none of them have inspired the “Next” button activate even though they all said they had been successfully created.

I can open the .VHD system image file in W10 on a different computer, but can’t get into my user account because there is no way to input my PIN. Needless to say, that is where all of my data is!!! I have these .vhd’s only, no other backup’s that might be in a different format.

Can anyone help me figure out what is going on or at least help me get to the next step?

Last edited:

managed

Allan
Hi and welcome to TSG,

What software did you use to make the system images ? Where are those images stored, on what device ?

twinoaks13931

Hi and welcome to TSG,

What software did you use to make the system images ? Where are those images stored, on what device ?
I used the system image creator in W7. I did not use clonezilla or any 3rd party software.

I have it stored on 2 different WD passport, one password protected, one not. So far, the password protected one has been useless. The third is a new 2 Tb WD Blue internal hard drive in a docking station.

twinoaks13931

I tried completely cleaning both 4 Tb HDDs on a different computer, initializing them, making them MBSs (which broke each disk into 2 parts) and formatting the first partition in each NTFS. I left the second partition in each unassigned. Reinstalled them in old computer and created 3+ Tb Raid 0 disk that was still NTFS, which is required by W7, so I've read anyway. I still could not do a Restore from Image in W7, but succeeded doing a Factory Recovery. At restart, no bootable disk.

Using W7 Pro to get into cmd prompt, I have discovered that during the Factory Recovery, the drive is formatted and partitioned such that the bulk of the drive, Volume 1, is made UDF. The 2 partitions that hold the OS and Recovery remained NTFS. I can't figure out how to make Volume 1 NTFS. Nothing I have tried works so far and I suspect the commands are meant to work on disks, not volumes . . . or I simply haven't come across the right command yet.

Is it possible to convert a UDF volume to an NTFS volume?

managed

Allan
I have never used Windows 7's Imaging so I can't help with restoring the image but I did find this which might let you get to your personal files from the VHD file :-
https://www.howtogeek.com/125704/ho...l-files-from-a-windows-7-system-image-backup/

If the above method works I think your best bet would be to make a clean install of Windows 7, if you make one of the 4TB drives GPT you should be able to use the whole drive as a single partition.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online