Problems galore graphics/audio etc

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

newtonrd

Somehow I have apparently wiped out many drivers, and maybe my upgraded memory. *Sigh* It is probably unlikely for me to repair them all myself since I am a computer dummy, but thought someone might be able to recommend the best solution at the most feasible price. My computer was put together by a computer technician who unfortunately is in Korea, so getting specifics about what is in my computer or how to fix it from him is impossible. Problems I am having since I messed the computer up, my graphics which I used to have true color, I now only have the options of 16 colors, my screen option is now only 400X600 (something like that) my audio/speakers are no longer working, and I know that we had it upgraded for more memory and it is only showing 128 memory again :(. Not that I know what it all means specifics I have been able to find on my computer are: VIA VT82C686B chipsets? I got this from inside the computer, ISA Onboard Crystal Apple soundcard, PA50V AGP Card, Conexant HSF1, MX29F002 USB Chip?, AOPEN SIS 6326 AGP True Color Graphics Video Accelerator, BIOS Version 2.25, I have a DIGIView HR55 monitor, and am running windows 98.
I have recently gone to the store and looked at some registry fix cd's etc. but, since I don't know much of anything was shy of spending $50.00 and it end up not being able to fix my problems, so I thought someone might be able to recommend a program that they felt would be able to help me?
Thank you for your time in advance for anyone that responds, I know its a lot of questions to ask and since I don't know much of anything the information that I provided might not even be helpfull to answer, sorry.
Thanks,
Amy

sometimes the videosettings can get reset when the computer burps. you should first check this. to fix your display (maybe)
go onto blank area of DESKTOP and right click, left click on PROPERTIES, left click on SETTINGS, change colors and screen area.
if no high resolution values are here then you've lost your high resolution drivers for your video card and you need to reinstall them with the cd that came with the video card.
no time right now to type about your other problems.

newtonrd

Thanks, so far I have fixed the graphics and audio problems. I installed the SIS 6326 driver, which has now enabled me to have color again :) and better resolution on my screen, as well as my speakers are now functioning.
So the problems i am now left with are:
The updated memory/hard drive is still missing. It was upgraded to like 256?memory, and its only showing I have 128 mb ram , that is what I originally had.
When I start my computer up it goes straight to a screen that asks me if i want to start in safe mode, instead of just starting up and going in windows.
Internet Explorer won't install properly, it keeps saying it can't complete setup.
I am happy to have color again :)
Thank you in advance for any replies again.
Amy

Hi newtonrd,

Regarding your "updated memory" - You probably have 2 sticks of RAM installed each of 128Mb. My suspision is that one of them has become loose in the socket.

They look a little like this: http://www.frozencpu.com/images/products/detail_secondary_hires/ram-11_3.jpg

They will be held in place by a clip at either end - try pressing them down quite firmly to see if they will clip into place.

Failing that - release the clip - take them out and replace.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online