1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems hearing mail notifications

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by girlruin, Apr 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. girlruin

girlruin Thread Starter

This is rather strange question. For some reason, I am having problems hearing Outlook 2007 and Gmail Notifier 'new mail' alerts. They have been working since I got this computer five years ago, but all of a sudden I am hearing an internal computer noise instead (just a faint, one-syllable 'beep'). It is an electronic noise coming from the computer itself instead of the sound alert through my desktop speakers. All other sounds and audio (MP3, video, games, etc.) work perfectly fine. It is just these two e-mail alert sounds that do not work.

When I go into Control Panel sounds, I can play (preview) the Outlook new mail alert and hear it fine over my speakers. But when it actually plays when I have new mail, I get the electronic noise and not the .wav file noise. As for Gmail Notifier, there is no way to adjust the new mail sound that I can find, but I can tell you it was working for the whole year or more I have been using it up until recently.

I recently installed a new sound card because the one on the motherboard was fried. I have a Rocketfish 5.1 PCI Sound Card. These problems with the notifications were happening before the new card was installed, and they did not fix themselves afterward. Again, no other problems with sound whatsoever. Just these two mail notifications.

Does anyone know what the problem could be here? Any help would be great appreciated. Thank you.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919763

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice