problems in config.sys

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

guff435

when my computer starts, it tells me that there is an error on the second line of config.sys. I opened sysedit and this is what was in config.sys:

DEVICE=C:\DOS\toscdrom.sys
Y
DEVICE=C:\DOS\toscdrom.sys

My first question is; isn't config.sys supposed to be longer than three lines? Secondly, do I just need to delete the "Y"?

The config.sys doesn't have to be 3 lines. you can delete the Y unless for some reason there is a program called "Y" that is loading.

You can delete the repeat of DEVICE=C:\DOS\toscdrom.sys

Plus if you have win98, you don't need to load config.sys and autoexec.bat normally.

To turn them off, start>run>msconfig

If for some reason you do need to load the CDrom real mode driver, you may have to add parameters to device=c:\dos\toscdrom.sys

e.g. device=c:\dos\toscdrom.sys /d:toscd000 /dma

and you would have to make sure that there is a toscdrom.sys file in c:\dos\

then make sure the appropriate corresponding entry is in the autoexec.bat

you can also just put "rem" without the quotes in front of each line you want to turn off.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online