1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems installing echodot 2nd generation

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by conlo, Mar 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. conlo

conlo Thread Starter

Hoping that you can give me some good advice. I bought webroot for some protection. Had problems installing echodot 2nd generation . Webroot tech said I needed internet security protection and that they could it , complete. ly clean my pc and keep it clean for the time I paid for at a cost of $300.00. I still could not install my echo dot . Talked to my internet provider and he tried everything in his bag of tricks with no luck , and suggested I contact Amazon. For a long time the amazon tech tried to get echo online, again with no success and showed how my pc was infected with pages of errors. So I told them that I had just paid Webroot $300.00 to clean it up and provide me with the Internet security. They said they evidently did not do the job. So now this Amazon
    google tech tries to sell me their internet security program at a cost of $400.00. I feel like I am being sucked in again.
    So now I would have $700.00 invested in my pc.with nothing solved. Would I be better off buying a new pc since mine is ten years old. What is the best approach to get my money back from webroot ??

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Did you already have webroot software installed when you contacted Webroot? If not, how did you come to choose to contact Webroot for your Echo Dot problems? Here is the contact information for Webroot support:

https://www.webroot.com/us/en/support/contact

If you called some other phone number than one of the ones listed, it is possible you may have been contacting a scammer pretending to be with Webroot. If it was a scammer and you paid with a credit card, you may have some recourse through your credit card company to cancel the charge.

If you used Google to search for Amazon support and they wanted $400 to solve your problem, there is a very good possibility it was a scam as well.

3. conlo

conlo Thread Starter

YES I DID HAVE WEBROOT INSTALLED WHEN I CALLED THEM
    DO YOU THINK A NEW PC WOULD SOLVE THE PROBLEM SINCE IT SHOULD NOT HAVE ANY ERRRS ON IT ??

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Unless your computer is old and you want to upgrade and purchase something newer, there should be less drastic measures that can be taken to clear any viruses and other malware for no cost. If your computer has recovery discs or a recovery partition, the hard drive contents could be restored to fresh from the factory condition. You could also get some free help from our trained virus and malware removal members in the Virus and Malware Removal forum.

There is no need to shout in all caps.

5. lunarlander

lunarlander

You have to learn how to recognize and find the real company tech support phone number. Usually, the company name + '.com' would be a safe bet, but there are some companies which have a slightly different .com name. If you have their product, then google for the product. This will usually lead you to their official web site. And you can check then if the site list the products as they should, if they are selling them. On that site, usually there would be Support tab. Or a Contact Us tab. That is where to get the real genuine support phone number.

6. conlo

conlo Thread Starter

I have an Asus CM6850 desktop pc. I also have a amazon echo dot 2nd generation . I have had the echo for 2 years now and has been working ok. Since I restored my pc to factory new condition. I am unable to get echo dot back online. The problem seems to be downloading the Alexa app. which they now say will only work with windows 10. Even had Comcast ( my server) try with no luck. It was working before with windows 7, why not now ??

7. C141

C141 Temporarily Banned

I have 3 Echo devices in the household. Never had to download or setup any Alexa App.
    Did it all from here: https://pitangui.amazon.com/spa/index.html#settings
    You'll need to sign-in to your Amazon account.
    A computer was only needed to access the above link. It matters not what OS it is running.
    Note, it may take more than one attempt to setup your Echo to connect with your Wi-Fi.

8. conlo

conlo Thread Starter

I agree and I did follow your link. The problem occurs when it says " connect your computer to your echo dot and shows picture of pc with an arrow pointing at Amazon xxx. This cannot be found. I had the Webroot tech try to download the app because I had just paid them $300.00 for their internet protection . I was on the phone with them for hours and finally I demanded my money back.

9. C141

C141 Temporarily Banned

Try re-setting the Dot. Clears it to factory setting.

Hold the Microphone off and Volume down buttons at the same time. Wait until the light ring turns orange (about 20 seconds).

Go back to the link & select 'Set Up A New Device.'

10. conlo

conlo Thread Starter

Sorry about writing in all caps . Was not meant as an offense. Just started to write and not noticed it was in all caps. Will be more aware in the future. Thanks for all the info. Will keep on trying.

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I've merged your threads here. Please do not start multiple threads on the same topic.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1224558

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice