1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

problems installing my Radeon X800 XT

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jcasti, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jcasti

jcasti Thread Starter

Hey guys, I need some help. I just installed a Radeon X800 XT into my Gateway 700GR and everything seems to be fine once Windows boots up, but I've noticed that there are some artifacts during the boot-up process and when I get into the CMOS setup (the CMOS setup screen is fuzzy and I can't read it at all). But I don't seem to run into any problems once Windows boots. Does anyone know what my problem is? I checked the Gateway website for Bios updates and there doesn't seem to be any new ones. Can someone help me?

Gateway 700GR
    3.4 ghz
    1 gb RAM
    Windows XP SP2

2. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

It sounds like the power to the card is marginal. What wattage power supply is in the machine? If it is less than 350 watt that is the problem. It could still be the problem even if you have 350 watts.

I'd guess it is power.

3. brite750

brite750

Speaking of power make sure the power connector on the card is plugged in (if it has one)

4. jcasti

jcasti Thread Starter

thanks for the quick response, guys. i did some research online and think the power supply might be the problem. the computer comes with a 300 watt power supply. i'll see if i can replace it with a higher voltage power supply. thanks, guys.

5. jcasti

jcasti Thread Starter

one more question, though. would replacing the power supply do anything to the components of the computer? (i.e., what if low consumption components were purposely installed?) would it pose a problem if i replaced the power supply with a more powerful one?

6. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Just in case you check back, no a higher wattage power supply will not hurt anything.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326679

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice